Hello From the Barmah Forest Doorstep

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Adrian1976, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Adrian1976

Adrian1976 Junior Member

Hello one and all:hi:
    Been lurking these forums for a long time and only wishing i could have my own piece of paradise. Wanting to get myself about 5 acres close to the forest.
    Living in this region all my life and can not see myself leaving either. The problems i see is that this area is flat with the only hills are sand. So choosing a method that will work with what i have is going to be a challenge.
    My first question is,
    What would be the best book/s that i should get for rainfall of around 12-15 inches and flat country?

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

There are a couple of rain harvesting books by Brad Lancaster that are worth reading Adrian. I know they are in our Library system in Victoria, as I've borrowed them before. There are quite a few permaculture books available in the libraries now, thanks to some active communities in the region. Check it out.

There are some good folks in Yalca doing some permie things, and you're also welcome to come by and have a flick through my books if you like.

Good luck with your adventure

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Adrian

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

Beautiful part of the world you live in. You may like to catch up with Grahame some time, as he is geographically quite close to you, and no doubt could point you in the right direction with many of the questions you may have.

Cheerio, Markos.

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Looks like we are in sync Markos ;)

5. ecodharmamark

In more ways the one, my friend, in more ways than one... ;)

6. Adrian1976

Adrian1976 Junior Member

Thanks Grahame, I may just take you up on that kind gesture in sometime. Yes it was only not long along I seen Yalca Fruit trees listed on the web, but I have never heard of them. I'd love to get some names of the people you are talking about, I may just know them but not in the permaculture circle.

7. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

They are the folks I am talking about. ;) I'm sure they would point you in the direction of anyone else in the area.

8. Adrian1976

Adrian1976 Junior Member

Thanks Markos
    If your in the area take a look at the victorian side of the border near Tocumal. Reading how much you like eucalyptus trees you will love the microclimates that it is there

9. ecodharmamark

G'day Adrian

Thanks for that. Next time I'm over that way, I'll be sure to check them out. By the look of the DSE EVC Map, there are some very interesting (and no less than eleven different) vegetation communities happening.

Cheerio, Markos.