loofah soap

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by annette, Apr 25, 2012.

1. annette

annette Junior Member

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I love making soap. I went through a stage where I made so much of it that I had to stop and I'm still using it all up! Cold process soap making (where you add lye to oil) is really interesting. I have used loofah chopped up small in soaps, but haven't tried making the whole rings like this. I wonder how hard it is to cut it so it looks that good?

When I get access to someone who has just killed a cow I want to have a go a 'real' soap - lye water made from ashes and rendered fat. A bit like my desire to kill a chook - it would be nice to know how to do it in case that's my only option at some point.

3. annette

annette Junior Member

Wow I've never made soap so just taking baby steps. I have read a while ago about making soap from cow fat and lye. i even bought a soapwort plant too to see how that would go but when I went overseas the babysitter let it die.

4. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Dont you guys have 'home kill' butchers over there?
    They cant give/sell you meat but can give/sell non food or not for human consumption bits.
    My daughter wants to have a go at soap making too, I would love to but I'm just too busy for that right now.

5. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

6. annette

annette Junior Member

That would be fun. Shame it's so far away for me.

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I think there's a home kill butcher in Woombye actually - never thought of that.... Thanks mischief.

8. annette

annette Junior Member

Hi Echo

I was discussing this thread with an ex butcher yesterday. He said that you may be able to find a local butcher that can supply it if the home kill butcher doesn't work out. He said as long as they get the carcasses in and not in boxes they would be able to do it. He also said it is the fat around the kidneys and liver (i think). He used to have it when he was a butcher.

9. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

I use Sunlight Soap in my bait traps to catch fish to feed my turtles. Apparantly it is full of animal fat. Works very well too.

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Pity the turtles don't eat Sunlight soap. It could save you all that effort landing fish!

11. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

12. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

No effort at all, My time threapy. It is great to spend half an hour or bit more.

13. RutabagaGirl

RutabagaGirl Junior Member

I have a question . . . sorta unrelated. I know the "old-timers" made soap with animal fat, but all the organic skin care literature says that animal fats clog the pores. Does anyone here know if that is true, or if that is more propaganda - like how they say animal fats will clog your arteries, but that is really not the case. I have made a bit of melt-and-pour soap, and had a friend show me how to make cold process - have dreams of milking a goat and making goat's milk soap!

14. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I doubt that it is true... I think it just reflects society's attitude that dead animals are contaminants and plants are pure and healthy. If you consider that the fat would otherwise be pollution (an unused resource) it makes sense to me to make use of it.
    Even the makers of plant oil based soaps will make goats milk soaps though. My understanding of it is that you replace the water with milk, add lye and then mix that into your melted fats / oils.