Need help. Cheapest council-legal dwelling?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by DJ-Studd, Mar 3, 2012.

1. mutley

mutley Junior Member

Shipping Container House

Mutley

2. springtide

springtide Junior Member

What is the difference between a shed and a dwelling when it goes off for approval by council? I mean can you get a (say) 80m2 american style barn, slab floor, insulate, gyprock lining, a few well placed windows, stud walls for bed n bathroom n kitchen - there are a lot of shed dwellings advertised in the weekend paper in WA - has anyone tried these?

Random example - scroll to the simpler ones at the bottom of web page

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day springtide,

we live in a A10 shed that has been approved to A1 habitable standard, the only differences are minor construction of the steel frame that is more windows and a sliding door, and studs at 600mm apart for lining purposes studs on a shed 1.2 apart or thereabouts. what changes it from 10 to 1 is the slab a shed slab needs less engineering imput, like the house has beams as part of the slab. but basically i can't see why people can't insulate and line a shed and live in it if that is all they can afford, some sheds are built better than others and so far i have not seen a shed floor fail, if this was common there would be a lot of sheds needing a lot of work.

we could not afford even the cheapest steel kit home, and simply don't see the hysteria someone pointed at me on another forum that if people lived in sheds live would be lost, they were adamant about that, sheds up here still standing like homes are after the worst that nature has thrown at them.

our place is 6mX9m living with attached skillion roof patio 3mX9m all with 600mm eaves. on the humanity side of things and having seen families living in tents under gum trees as well as sleeping on the grass at bay side, asked what could be done to get these people into something more comfortable like near us in about a 2sq/km area there would be around 8 to 10 sheds just sitting there, never visited by away owners. boy when i asked that it was like i was condemning people to their demise.

anyhow reckon a termite and fire resistant approved shed home be better than most things and more affordable.

4. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Springtide

Second paragraph, here.

Cheerio, Markos

5. gardenlen

yes mark the 1 and the 10 are different the a is the same, the A alludes to the building all have to have a certain storm rating the 1 and 10 allude to the cement slab, too easy really, our shed structure as i said is built to same structure standard of the house, only the studs are further apart, the slabs are different that is all not that you would notice if you stood on the slabs side by side once laid. that's what the regulation supports, like it or not, they require lining by any handyman/self no license needed, the only thing they ponder over is the plumbing every step of the way by 3 different sections. the sparky needs one approval before he starts work, but plumbing and these self employed advisers like the one who said i was damning people to death by advocating giving homeless people an unused shed to live, once you submit plumbing plan make sure you don't need to change one miniscule thing, we had not noticed the builder had drawn the toilet seat facing the wrong way that was accepted as that we had the toilet seat turned on the exact same spot to face 90% the other way boy what a cafuffial it caused with the regulator, then they drew the septic soakage trenches right across the driveway and the middle part of the yard, we said no way jose and said the trenches will have to moved sideways and fitted in between driveway and fence plenty of room, but long before i had the felled trees pushed into a pile so they had to move them when they could have reposition the trenches up slope about 5 meters toward the house, plenty of room, but no sticklers for where the full stop is hey silly rules that people make money out of supporting. the plumbing due to knit picking took various inspections to pass. with no flexibility and no one checks if the customer who pays all fees and rates is getting what they want.

no good talking to us about stupid building reg' we budgeted $7k for council related charges. $800 for a fire risk permit which affects the building more than planning ever could, $800 for some egg head tertiary trained person to sit without conscious parked out front have a fag, a coke and a pie then 1/2 hour drive back to town, what a rort. we need people standing up for home builders not making easy money.

len

6. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Good luck and take pics! :)

7. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Mightn't it be better then to plan a shed to "house" specs with the slab, windows n put in plans for stud walls and the like - then spend a few years living in it and finishing it off as you can afford it. It sounds like only a few thousand dollars difference between the shell of a good sized shed with power and some sort of septic - and the shell of a same sized house - i'm sure moust councils would prefer people lived in "houses" rather than "sheds". My brother lived in a house for 6 years in semi surburban Victoria with no certificate of occupancy - so i don't think they care about the exact build time frame.

8. gardenlen

our shed is a house.

might be a sting in the tail of stretching time until you get final cert'? they require you to start building within a year of applying and submitting plans. and until you have final they don't count that as a habitable dwelling, as the builder said to us lock up stage is lock out stage. so if you lived in a place that had power connected and plumbing approved, now there's a catch you may not get final plumbing approval until it is all set up in finished house? then of course like i say and i'm in support of people doing what they can afford to have a roof over their heads, just you can't trust any level of gov' and their many hanger oners, and of course dobbing neighours. but what might happen if they further tightened up on regulations and you are years away from final, this may mean you have to bring your place to the new standard. my advice get it to final ASAP, get the council out of your hair.

was a shed for sale 4 doors down must check nut there is a family living in it now (good on them) only issues is they live right next door to a dobber.

len