Possible new project in coastal Bali - volunteer expressions of interest sought

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Bumbu, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Bumbu

Bumbu Junior Member

I'm seeking volunteers sought to help me set up new permaculture demonstration project in ecologically challenged area of Bali. Please see my project update on Permaculture Global here:
    https://www.permacultureglobal.com/posts/1998

I have located a stunningly beautiful but ecologically/agriculturally depleted area of Bali badly in need of restoration.

As coastal tourism in Bali booms, the people here are deserting their traditional farming roles and leaving their fragile traditional tropical farming lands to be trampled by beef cattle as they are steadily squeezed into low paid hospitality jobs and debt-funded materialistic lifestyles.

I can secure land here for a non-profit Yayasan (NGO) to educate and demonstrate permaculture-based sustainable farming practices with the objective of helping locals to restore, revive and maintain their independent, traditional lifestyles and keep their lands viable for their future generations.

We have a dire shortage of permaculture volunteers here. I'm looking for enthusiastic volunteers to help me set this up from grass roots level. Its a fantastic opportunity for new pc graduates seeking some hands on experience in a beautiful part of Asia, literally a stone's throw from the most amazing, unspoilt, undeveloped white sand beaches in Bali. Please help me to protect this incredible region, and help the locals to protect their futures from encroaching unsustainable development!

2. f10yd

f10yd Junior Member

Sounds good mate, will contact you next time im in Bali...

Have you been in touch with IDEP foundation? Also, get in touch with Steve Cran...not sure of the name of the group he is establishing in Bali, but he was there last time I saw him...and hey, the more functional connections the better, right?

Floyd.

3. Bumbu

Bumbu Junior Member

Hi Floyd, yes I am in touch with IDEP here. They are doing great things at the moment. Although it's not widely known as they dont promote it much, they have been quietly developing some beautiful gardens up in their land near Sukawati, and have just moved their offices up there next to their gardens this past week, so now they will be much closer to the earth and spade work than they could be before. I am hoping to do some voluntary work with them in the near future. Yes I know Steve Cran as well. He assisted me on a project late last year but has gone back to Australia now to focus on other projects back there. Yes, the more functional connections the better. Unfortunately the "connection" part of the permaculture community over here in Bali is not working too well at the moment. I do find it somewhat dysfunctional and fragmented, with not much networking and collaboration going on as far as I can see. If permaculturists are to make a difference in a place like Bali I believe they need to communicate more frequently, build networks, and see each other less as competitors and more as collaborators.

4. Bumbu

Bumbu Junior Member

Good news! I have received some enthusiastic expressions of interest from volunteers around the world and I have upgraded my post on Permaculture Global to make it a new Project. Please refer to the Project's new profile at https://www.permacultureglobal.com/projects/873-bukit-peninsula-sustainability-project. We are in the process of selecting a site, and expect to commence on the ground in mid April 2012. We are hoping to connect with permaculture practitioners both locally and from other parts of the world to make this project a success. I would especially like to collaborate with any local practitioners to share knowledge on local conditions. Please contact us!

5. Bumbu

Bumbu Junior Member

We now have a full complement of volunteers coming to Bali to start this project later this month (March 2012). This will be an ongoing project, and we ask people to commit to a one month minimum stay and to participate full time. Some of our starters are here for the long term, others just for a month or two, so we will be looking for more volunteers to join us over time, especially probably around June or July.