How do I control Crowsfoot or Crab Grass?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Wombat, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Wombat

Wombat Junior Member

We didn't have a problem until we had an excavator in to do some work part of which was driveway to give access down a steep slope to the back of the property. I spread Buffolo grass seed and when things started to grow thought it was the Buffalo. Soon it was too late and the whole graded area is covered in Crowsfoot - it is now spreading to adjacent areas and getting into the garden beds. There is probably over 100 square feet of the stuff now.

Conventional treatment appears to to cultivate in the winter and apply a pre-emergent herbicide in the spring and plant a desirable grass so block it out. I'm pulling what I can now but it is starting to flower and will be setting seed soon. Mowing encourages it to grow flatter.

Any ideas on eradication?

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

What do you want to be there in the long term? In the meantime sheet mulch heavily. Perhaps seed a green manure crop in there while you decide what to do with that area.

3. Wombat

Wombat Junior Member

Long term I would like it grassed - now looking at Queensland Blue couch - local - indigenous and native animals will eat it unlike carpet or buffalo ( we have a big grey kangaroo wonders through and a couple of wallabys - we back onto National Park) I like the sheet mulch idea will give that a try. The other area where it is getting a hold is under the clothes line around the sewage treatment tanks - that will be paved so I'll sheet mulch that and spread some road base for a foundation.

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Will the couch stay weed free once established without maintenance? It sounds like a spot you don't want to have to mow / weed. What about tall clumping native grasses instead / as well? (It could just be my aversion to anything resembling lawn that is responsible for this recommendation however!)

5. Wombat

Wombat Junior Member

It's an access path on a slightly gentler slope than the rest of the block - about 2 meters wide it will take the 4 wheel barrow and eventually the 2 wheel walk behind tractor - I also have a Greenfield walk behind self propelled slasher that should keep it neat once in a while. This is the path under construction - We don't particularly want gravel or road base.
    [​IMG]

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Ahh! So big clumpy grasses would definitely not be a good idea! Nice terraced beds by the way...