What do you wear in the garden.

Discussion in 'General chat' started by sun burn, Feb 10, 2012.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Actually i don't really care what you wear in teh garden but it might be fun to share.

What i am really posting about is my new gardening shirt. On the advice of a fellow touring cyclist, i bought a fisherman's shirt from bcf the other day.

The merits of such a shirt apply as well to gardening as to touring cycling and i am wearing mine in the garden until my next tour.
    Its merits are:

while polyester, it has uv filters so no sunburn
    easy to wash out and doesn't stain with dirt as much as cotton
    can dry in a very short time even in quite humid weather
    these two things means its wearable every day and you only need one shirt not half a dozen.
    lower cost than other similar shirts which are sold in backpacking shops.
    also has a lot more ventilation than similar shirts sold
    Seems to be very well made
    velcro on cuffs instead of buttons
    pockets over breasts so no bra is necessary :)
    well my climate tests the wicking theory so i don't really rate that but i suppose compared to a cotton shirt, you are more comfortable even when sweaty.

I've also recently bought some synthetic shorts which seem to as good as the shirt when compared to cotton shorts. I am also washing them and wearing them daily. And each time they come up clean with minimum scrubbing.

I also wear a fisherman's hat - wide brim. Its probably about time i bought another one since this one's been left in the rain and is starting to deteriorate.

Currently dad's size 12 crocs on my female size 9 feet - I like the oversized look. I should be wearing socks to prevent heels cracks from forming. But i am lazy.

Exfoliating shower gloves on my hands. I love these except when a prickle goes through. These are tough gloves and don't mind being wet. And i do'nt mind either if they get wet. Probaby not so great in a cold weather if you are trying to keep warm.

2. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

Of course it depends, but I prefer not to wear shoes at all.

When its warm out: shorts and a long-sleeve button up shirt that I couldn't get a stain out of. If I'm just bummin around and not using a shovel, I'm barefoot. If I'm using a shovel, then flip flops. I'm not a hat guy, so no hat. I wish I could wear one, but I just feel ridiculous. Doesn't matter the style. I try to limit my time in the sun to morning/evening. If I want to be in the garden during the heat of the day I'll wear sun screen or rub some clay on my feet (it works, but gets hot and you sweat it off). Really depends on what I'm doing. Typically if I'm home I'll just watch from the shade of a tree rather than sizzle.

If its cool (10-~18 C): jeans, long sleeve shirt (a heavier one) and flip flops.

If its cold, same. Just spend less time out. Our soil here stays pretty moist all winter and I hate wet shoes, so only if I really have to get something done will I wear shoes and work out there.

Fun thread :)

3. annette

annette Junior Member

I'm a bit like you Sunburn, fishermans hat and crocs most of the time. I wear daggy old shirts and a pair of old shorts in summer and usually an old pair of tracky dacks in winter. When slashing back the bush vines and grass I wear a pair of pink gum boots up (garage sale $2) to the knee and heavy gloves. Lets see those red bellied black snakes bite through them!

4. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I've got a pair of wellies i am thinking of cutting down to ankle length to be cooler. They get sweaty and too hot very quickly. I get cracked heels so i should be wearing socks and shoes in the garden. But i'm too lazy to get properly dressed most of the time. Or at least properly dress my feet. My shoes tend to get full of mud. I am always muddy. Dirt is drawn to me.

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Daggy old paint spattered shirt and a pair of shorts, with crocs. Gloves - though all of them have holes in them and I need to replace them! On the 2 days of the year that it is cold I'll wear pants instead of shorts.

6. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Pretty much the same, holey, painted on daggy old clothes- my favourite, which Im sure my family have been slowly getting rid of thinking I havent noticed.
    I wear gumboots when I need to use the spade but usually barefoot.
    My fav garden 'hand bag' is a little 4kg gib stopping bucket thats just big enough for the trowel,phone, water bottle and the NZ gardener mag (for when I need a break).

7. annette

annette Junior Member

Oh forgot to say one of my most favourite things to wear on the way to the chook pen is my apron. It has a big pocket in front for the eggs and I can carry food etc in my hands. I don't know it makes me feel transformed back into the olden days of simpler times. I remember granny in her apron......

8. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I pretty much wear the same thing all year round.

I've got a collection of cotton long-sleeved business shirts from my previous life (desk job). i take great pleasure in wearing them in the garden and getting them as dirty as possible. Because they are well made they make great garden shirts. I have done some calculations and given that the things like hard yakka, or king gee all seem to be made in china now with pathetic thread and material (the buttons fall off in about 2 wears, the pockets come unravelled etc) it would probably work out cheaper and better to buy a decent business shirt. I can't wear the synthetic stuff no matter how well it wicks.

I also wear long pants, usually something from Vinnies or Savers or some other thrift shop. I usually wear boots and woollen socks, sometimes gumboots and for short trips outside 'crocs' or bare feet. I usually wear gloves too, just because I can be too rough on my hands. I'd love to wear bare feet more often, but this time of the year there is a good supply of snakes (we have a creek nearby). I wear a wide brimmed hat and a fly net (it is virtually impossible to wheel a barrow or handle a fork in the summer here, because of the shear number of friendly flies.

9. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

In colder times i wear my usual tracky dakies, t shirt, and my crocs with socks..no hats..

In warmer times and NON mozzie season.. topless..

Having been in this place for just under 3 full years.my garden is nearly "nude Safe"... I go nude during the weekdays,just for those slack resting days next to my "aquaponics" set up... wanna add a "natural swimming pool".a recycle thru my aqua system,and use as emergancy tank topups,and/or cooling swims in the long hot summers.... I wont use chemicals in my pools so it has to be safe for me and my fish...... gotta look out for bitie fish,OR Ban them in a pool cos I dont want them eating my "Bait"..

10. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

i wear dirt but have a small bag for my nuts.

i have been trying to import a genuine Papua New Guinea penile gourd from the highlands of PNG , but AQIS (bastards) won't recognise it as apparel !! -
    and insist it is food.

when / if the sucker ever arrives, i shall do a local press release inclusive of photograph of self resplendent in gourd.

another good thing about the penile gourd is the fact that no one slaved in a sweat shop to make it.....in gourd we trust.

when it is old and tired, chipped and loosing lustre....you can eat it.

11. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

Wait, wait, I've got one: in gourd we thrust...

12. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

ouch

:clap:

13. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Why dont you just grow your own gourd. Does it really matter what shape it is?

On the other hand, i think the new guinea bean itself is a type of gourd and can be overgrown and it is long and straight.

If you succeed, i hope you've got someone to show it off to in your garden.

14. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

So you are proposing penile gourds for elephants now? Something to stop shocking the tourists? Something to keep the other teenage elephants from grabbing someones junk? :think: ;)

15. TheDirtSurgeon

TheDirtSurgeon Junior Member

Just a cute gingham frock. ;)

16. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I just realized I never answered this.

When I lived in the tropics, rainforest side of an island.. I wore my "lava lava" and that's about it. Not even flip-flops.

Now that I am in the Pacific Northwest, I am doomed to wearing multiple layers most of the year. It kinda sucks.

17. Missy_Muffett

Missy_Muffett Junior Member

Im a red head, needless to say Im very particular when I venture outdoors. I try to do my work early morning 4.30 in summer & at dusk. I wear a very old goso sunshirt, daggy old hippy skirt & gumboots. I have an small carpenters apron I got from bunnings, I carry all sorts of bits & pieces in that. I much prefer to work outside when its raining, I have a pair of waterproof pants & jacket, fabric sunhat, my gumboots & off I go. I seem to go through gumboots like anything, they just dont last, anyone have any recommendations??