Raising broiler chooks

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by DJ-Studd, Feb 7, 2012.

1. DJ-Studd

DJ-Studd Junior Member

Hi,
    I'm looking to do the sums on raising broiler chooks.

Joel Salatin says "A couple working six months per year for 50 hours per week on 20 acres can net $25,000-$30,000 per year with an investment equivalent to the price of one new medium-sized tractor".

I'm yet to bring myself to spend the money on his book due to tight financials right now, but I was wondering if anybody had done the sums for a similar setup in Australia?

My Googling suggests day old chicks $1.50ea, abattoir fee of up to $4ea, plus feed and labour. You've lost $5.50 per bird before feed and labour costs, then there is figuring out a market, etc. Plus free range accreditation etc.

I have the time, I have the land and I most probably have access to the startup capital. I just don't see how I can find hundreds of customers off the bat.

Is there anybody that has done this on a medium scale?

2. Terra

Terra Moderator

Have a look at turkeys , lot bigger bird , easy market in early december for obvious reasons (get birds heavy enough at the right time) you could even sell a large percentage live , i did this several times as a youngster of course lot less regulations way back then . Anything to do with fresh food is full of fees and charges ATTACHED to the regulations (no surprise) .

3. mike

mike Junior Member

Do the killing and dressing yourself,there is a big slice of your profit tied up in paying someone else to do it.

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Look up the linda woodrow system so you don't have to buy or buy as much feed. I have had it in place for 6 months and I already see stellar changes to my property with only 1 rooster and 3 hens. The eggs are also the best thing I have ever had. I thought arrogantly growing up the NYC would always have the best food, now that I am older and wiser.. the best tasting, and healthiest food is the stuff I grow myself.