1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

2. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Personally? My thoughts based around my situation, waste of money.

If you build it, they will come.

Though I can't speak for denuded, destroyed, scraped-off, poisoned, reclaimed urban, radioactive land.

3. Jim Hunt

Jim Hunt Junior Member

Heh. A little late to answer this post, but maybe someone will benefit.

I've had some correspondence with Bill Kreitzer (the inventor OF Vermipods) and he's a really nice guy. He went way beyond the call of duty to send me a special order of just cocoons of specific types of worms. If you're going to buy Vermipods, I recommend that you buy from the company that originates them: https://www.billkreitzer.com/VermiPods.html I can say also that I've only heard negative comments about one company in the vermiculture business and that's the guy who is definitely not my uncle.

In addition to cocoons, Bill sent me a handful of vermipods "just for fun." I put them in a bin and they just sat there in their clay shells. I finally manually removed the clay and the cocoons hatched. I'm assuming that the clay would come off on it's own in a garden or field situation.

One thing to remembe is the mix of species that's included. Most of these are not really garden or field species. Here's a list of the included species with a note from Bill in response to a negative forum post:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Vermipod Species

If you don’t mind, I would like to clarify a couple of things in your post.
    Some of our VermiPods™ do indeed have Lumbricus rubellus earthworm cocoons in them. You are correct in saying that they are a burrow-dwelling species but you may not know that they are also a top feeding earthworm. I.e. the reason for their importance. I have a 5 acre test plot that is over 20 years old now. As long as there is cover crop for their protection this earthworm survives quite well.

Below is a complete list of earthworm cocoons that we are currently encapsulating. So as you can see, you can put VermiPods™ into compost or other non-subsurface locations. If you have written this in other blogs, I sure would appreciate you telling them so.

The best always,

Bill Kreitzer
    Inventor of the VermiPod™

Aporrectodea caliginosa (Common Pasture Earthworm) Often found in agricultural soils.
    Dendrobaena veneta (European Night Crawler) Also known as Eisenia hortensis. This species performs best in excessively wet environments.
    Eisenia andrei (Red Tiger Worm) Often mistaken for the Eisenia fetida.
    Its growth and reproduction rates make it best suited for vermicomposting.
    Eisenia fetida (Manure Worm, Red Wiggler, or Tiger Worm) Used where animal waste is dominate.
    Lumbricus terrestris (Dew-worm, Night crawler and Angleworm) By its burrowing actions, this earthworm is of great value in keeping the soil structure open, creating a multitude of channels which allow the processes of both aeration and drainage to occur.
    Lumbricus rubellus (Red Marsh Worm) Commonly found in places rich in organic matter and moisture such as gardens, agricultural soils and pastures.
    ------------------------------------

Vermipods are primarily intended for a farm situation. If your garden has lots of organic matter and not a lot of pesticides and chemical fertilizers you should already have lots of earthworms. If you don't then you need to figure out why they're not there before you try seeding earthworms.

For composting, get one of the recognized composting worms. For gardens, in the USA get Alabama Jumpers. West coast try Jerry Gach at thewormdude.com. East coast try Bruce Galle at orderworms.com. In Australia get "cod worms" from George Mingin at https://www.kookaburrawormfarms.com.au/ They're all Amynthas family--most often called Amynthas gracilis.

I hope I haven't overdone on myfirst post and I hope it's somewhat understandable.

Jim

4. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

Is there any concern that some of these species might escape and damage the wild ecosystem? I understand there is worry about escaped earthworms damaging forests in the northern part of the USA.

5. Jim Hunt

Jim Hunt Junior Member

Good question Ludi. None of the species in Vermipods or the Amynthas species are native to the USA or Au. If the location in question is in a developed area, they're already there and it wouldn't be a big concern. All of these have at least the potential of replacing native species or destroying the duff layer in a forest. So don't turn them loose where people don't normally spend a lot of time.
    I'll try to rephrase that. In a city, village, etc. there's no problem. In a farming, ranching or residential area, there's no problem. In a really popular recreation spot, it's probably too late. Otherwise, try not to take worms there at all.

6. cottager

cottager Junior Member

Nice info Jim ... I always like a good (origin) story :)

Anyways, aside from the issues of local, vs. imported, worm varieties ... I did the math (just like the website you posted, Pak, suggested to do)

At $24.95 per pod (serious?) ... that's over $1,200 for 2,000 worms. Do the math? Wow (I thought the local supermarket version of a hardware store was expensive!).

As a concept, it's got a certain cute factor about it ... and that's as far as it goes, for me. I like my resident garden worms (every time I see a scrubby, it's still a bit fun! ... I'm still to clap eyes on the huge tasmanian native worms ... but that day will come :rofl:.