Man Builds Fairy Tale Home for His Family – For Only £3,000

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by Michaelangelica, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

2. annette

annette Junior Member

OMG. I want to live there. I want one really badly. Gorgeous.

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    That's a beautiful building, did you see the oval window with the glasshouse on the outside?

Three thousand pounds... only if you don't count the labour cost ;-) He estimates 1000 - 1500 hours of man power, so at $40/hour that's another $40,000 to $60,000. Over four months that's average of 55 - 85 hours a week. I'm not dissing the project, it's still awesome, I just think the headlines are misleading.

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Oh that's Hobbit House! They moved from there and built a newer better one.

Is it really costly labor if it was fun and such?

5. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Don't know Pak. I was thinking more of the promotion of the idea that one can build a house for 3,000 pounds. It's misleading. If you don't pay for the labour, and you do it yourself, you need a way of supporting yourself for those four months. This is entirely reasonable for some people, I just think the true cost should be made apparent.

6. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I see where you are coming from.:y::handshake:

It's just I got labor intensive projects I am going to do solo this year, and I do not see myself counting labor into the cost of these things since I am pretty much always here, especially when it comes to cobbing. It's just fun! :D

I still love that house though(above).. so simple in its construction.

7. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

I also have many labor intensive projects planned or in the works. I don't count my labor as a cost. If I did, I would get even more discouraged!

8. CRTreeDude

CRTreeDude Junior Member

Well, one could just sit around getting fat...

One can look at labor intensive projects as costing their labor, or saving them going to a health club. I have enough money to buy enough chocolate for me to eat, for example, but yesterday, I was cutting open cacao pods to ferment the seeds. After that, I will roast them, crack off the shells, and then grind the nibs. Then I will make chocolate. Is it cost effective? No way since I can program for 15 minutes and earn all the money I need to buy more chocolate than I should eat. lol

But - there is pleasure in doing this, knowledge to be gained and the end result might be better than I can buy. And what else am I going to do with my free time - watch TV?

I had to break myself of thinking of my time having value, because after a while, all I would do was program, since I was paid so well to do that. I got pretty fat, too. Now I am 100 lbs lighter (nearly) and a heck of a lot happier.

A surprise, I should my wife that picture and she was thrilled - and this really surprised me. I might soon have another project.