1. Scott176

Scott176 Junior Member

Hi All,

Does anyone know where you can buy one of those paper log maker thingeemajigs? I know there's several different types, including one where wet paper is put into a container and a levering system compresses the wet paper into a bricquette. I've seen a couple advertised on overseas websites. Does anyone know of an Australian supplier?

Cheers,
    Scott

2. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Mate, if you aren't in any hurry I should be building mine in the next couple of weeks.. I will post all i nstructions and pics to go with it..

Basiclly my model, will do any where up to 10 bricks at a time, and it is prefered that you add saw dust (if you can get it)

The reason I am building one is, I have been saving my papers for 12months for this project, I get shreaded paper from work, and I live 2 blocks away from a furniture maker with huge piles of sawdust..

Also I didn't want to make 1 brick at a time, as this would make for a very long summer............. Will keep this posted.

3. Scott176

Scott176 Junior Member

Oh cool 8)
    that'll be great mate!
    And, excellent idea to make a multi-bricquette model.
    Cheers.

4. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Hey dan Just curious here mate but the cabinate maker, is his wood pure wood, or manufactured wood? The reason i ask as i nearly got a lot of it yrs ago sawdust..untill i read that lot of cuboards etc these days are formed wood not tru wood...... aparently the shit is bad for ya its the glues,rezins they use apprently...

Tezza

5. Haitch

Haitch New Member

Hi Dan
    Any chance of seeing a pic of your Multi Log Maker, I need to make one
    and wouldn't mind a copy of your plans..

Cheers
    Haitch

6. teela

teela Junior Member

combustabrick

Hi Scott.........Do you mean a 'combustabrick'? makes brick shaped log thingys, 1 at a time. I wanted one and looked everywhere, garage sales, trash n treasure, auctions ect, never saw one, then was told they are crap anyway, takes too much time to make one brick and not worth the effort.
    So I stopped looking and hey presto dam things are jumpin out at me every garage sale I go to now, sometimes as cheap as $4. So if you really want one sooner or later you'll find one...my hint..stop lookin.

7. Scott176

Scott176 Junior Member

hehe, thanks for the tip Teela, i'll stop looking immediately :D

I'm not sure about the name combustabrick; presumably it's the same thing. But i wouldn't be surprised if they were a lot of stuffing around to make one brick. It would be interesting to work out the energy expenditure and cost of making one combustabrick compared to the energy they release. In other words, the Energy Return on Investment Ratio. I think coal has a EROI of about 5; not sure about wood, maybe it's about 3. If EROI for combustabricks were greater than 3 then it may well be worth while doing. Then again, the paper used to make combustabricks comes from wood in the first place so that would suggest it's an inefficient use of resources. However, since we use the paper anyway to read news on etc and would go to waste anyway, then it's possibly a very good form of recycling.

8. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

I'm getting there, have plans, just need to build.. Have been a little busy here lately,, Harvest coming up...

9. Scott176

Scott176 Junior Member

What's wrong Dan, can't you do fifty thousand things at once? :D 8)

10. Feezbeez

Feezbeez New Member

Hi Scott, see my note under "Paper bricks" for an aussie supplier called Magnamail... but the multi model sounds much better.

11. faully

faully New Member

log makers

Hi Dan, any chance I can get a copy of your plan for a multi log maker. I've been searching everywhere for one and have had diddlysquat in my efforts, and thats just for a single log maker.

I do know that you can buy log making presses in the UK but thats a bit dear by anyone's standard.

Regards and thanks in advance...faully

12. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Re: log makers

G'day Faully,

Welcome to the forum.

You're probably best off to PM Dan, because he doesn't post here anymore - he started a different kind of site.

If you PM him with your email contact, you're far more likely to get a response.

13. faully

faully New Member

thanks

thanks jez i'll do that. and also thanks for the speedy response, l look forward to this and many more discussions on this site.

regards...faully

14. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

I've always been interested in newpaper rolls for fire, but it seems they just smoke terribly and don't actually flame up.

Are these bricks/paper logs something else?

15. pootle

pootle Junior Member

i made some last year - they work really well - basically i made a frame out of 4 pieces of mdf - & one flat piece to go inside - you them shred the paper - mix with warm water & let stew for at least 24 house - grass clippings (a few ) & sawdust are also good to add
    you then slop the pulp into the frame & use the inside piece to squeeze the pulp to make a brick shape - these then dry in the sun for about 24 hrs - they burn really well & hot & take quite a while to burn through
    we do not have a wood burner in our house so havent made any this year - excellent job for the kids to do as the paper is extremely slopy - (papier mache style :lol: ) & they loved getting all gunged up - stood em on the lawn after they finished & hosed em down :D
    hth
    sam

16. pootle

pootle Junior Member

i made some last year - they work really well - basically i made a frame out of 4 pieces of mdf - & one flat piece to go inside - you them shred the paper - mix with warm water & let stew for at least 24 house - grass clippings (a few ) & sawdust are also good to add
    you then slop the pulp into the frame & use the inside piece to squeeze the pulp to make a brick shape - these then dry in the sun for about 24 hrs - they burn really well & hot & take quite a while to burn through
    we do not have a wood burner in our house so havent made any this year - excellent job for the kids to do as the paper is extremely slopy - (papier mache style :lol: ) & they loved getting all gunged up - stood em on the lawn after they finished & hosed em down :D
    hth
    sam

17. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

pootle, what a great idea and thanks for that recipe. I am always trying to figure out what to do with cardboard, usually I just give up and recycle it. I'll give it a try! :)

18. tony

tony New Member

hey pootle

can you put up you plan thanks sounds great

19. BlackPacker

BlackPacker Junior Member

HAHAHA! I just got one...

I was radonmly wandering around a salvage shop in the city and found a "paper brick maker" I immediately remembered this thread and picked it up for $3! It looks like crap that would be better made from an old ammo can, but I will use it until I break it and then use the design to make something out of metal (Would be fun to use that 3 ton hydrolic jack I've got sitting around) ;)

Excited to see how well it works. We don't have lots of paper heading to recycling now, but could be useful anyways.

20. pootle

pootle Junior Member

hi
    sorry have only just seen this so apologies for not replying-
    im afraid i dont have "a plan" - i just cut 4 pieces of mdf
    2 about 20cm long
    2 10cm long
    & nailed them together to make a rectangle - that was hollow in the centre - i then cut a piece that will fit it the centre - attached a handle
    to make the bricks i placed a piece of old worktop down with the rectangle on top - filled the centre with paper mix & squeezed excess with flat piece with handle - used a fish slice to take them off of the worktop & dried on the lawn -

i hope that makes sence :D
    if not pm me & i will try & make it easier - as you can tell ima kinda slap it all together person :lol: