I made the front page of my local newspaper

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by paul wheaton, Nov 13, 2011.

1. paul wheaton

paul wheaton Junior Member

2. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

pretty good mate, you managed only 3 I's and 1 me and even squeezed in a we.

just kidding, that's great, now we just have to work out how to get your face on the bible. :)

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

wow evangalist and all

right about the bulbs of this feel good world.

len

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Nice one Paul! That's a good write up too.

Not sure about the test though (although completely agree about the stupidity of the CFL campaign). Doesn't that show that CFLs don't like being turned off and on in rapid succession?

5. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Is there any other alternative in Aust. other than LEDs?

6. gardenlen

nope spring tide LED's look like the best but very expensive option though they do burn teeny amounts of electricity and seem to last indefinitely. mate makes his own out of vehicle LED lights they work well. he has some wind power to run them on. 12 volt.

len

7. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Thought so - i have them in my shed off batteries - but since the electronic transformers (as opposed to old school wound ones) burn about 35 watts in heat im not going there - have been thinking of spending up and putting a 24v circuit through the next house (16mm2 cable) - for now its cfl downlights all the way.

8. paul wheaton

I spend about $1 per month to power my lights. All incandescent. I use a crazy strategy called "turn off the damn lights" that seems to be working well. And i like the light quality better than CFL or LED.

Awesome luxury at $1 per month.

9. gardenlen

the last home we built needed only 1 globe to illuminate it, even if we turned one patio fluro on it lit up the house., this home we are building will be the same efficiency and sustainability should start with the type of design that will work.

len

10. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Hey Paul - incandescent lights are no longer sold in Australia due to their energy consumption - so it's halogen, l.e.d. or cfl for domestic lighting.

11. paul wheaton

12. Wolf_rt

Wolf_rt Junior Member

Halogen bulbs are your best bet, and seem to be commonly available in the supermarkets ect.

There is a good link here that explains the power factor issue. How CFL's actually use more electricity than your meter reads....

https://sound.westhost.com/articles/incandescent.htm#pf

13. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Hey Wolf, do you mean the incandescent style ones with the halogen inserts? - I understand about pf but the cfls have been in our house for years and don't seem to die so i'm not going to replace them until then.

14. Wolf_rt

Wolf_rt Junior Member

Yep, there the ones i use springtide. Once you take the power factor problems into consideration, there can be MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT, even without taking the following into account!

As well as the power factor:

EMF from the clipping transformer (in the CFL) to fry your brain... These clipping transformers are also the reason 'smart meters' are being introduced as far as i can tell, the smart meters which put out as much EMF as 50 mobile phones or something... imagine that on your bedroom wall

The Clipping transformers also mangle the waveform of the AC, which causes your TV/fridge/everything in your house that needs AC. to blow up...

and lets not forget the mercury when they break... broke one on the kitchen table the other day...wonderful...

also the energy cost of manufacture, the rare minerals used, cost of disposal... wonderful devices really..ffs.

rip them out and mail them with a nasty note to your local government representative. even if it is a waste... you will be doing yourself and the environment a favor.

Awesome job bringing this important issue to 'light' Paul...