Hello.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by ilesmatthew, Nov 7, 2011.

1. ilesmatthew

ilesmatthew Junior Member

Hi Everyone,
    My name is Matthew iles. I was born Canadian but i spent 10 years of my childhood in New Zealand before moving to the United States at age 15, specifically New Jersey. I went to university in Boston. I currently live in Florida. I am a PhysioTherapist by profession, however, my wife is a jewelry designer and we have a business that connects the USA with Vietnam, her native country.

Our connection with Vietnam is what has me interested in Permaculture. We (my wife Nina and I) have a piece of land and our intention was to build an orphanage. Thinking it through, I felt that the children should be raised to be self sufficient so they wouldn't be dependent on aid from western countries on an ongoing basis. (teach em how to fish philosophy).
    My intention now is 1. learn about Permaculture. 2. Initiate a permaculture project in Central Vietnam. 3. Replicate the success.
    Any help/ advice on this forum will be greatly appreciated and feel free to e-mail me with any questions/ answers.
    Thanks in advance and thanks to those who are leading the way!

2. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

Hello, welcome! I hear all sorts of amazing things about Vietnam and its traditional culture and agriculture ((ie permaculture...)
    And then there's the food!

3. ilesmatthew

ilesmatthew Junior Member

Hi Pippimac,
    Yes, the food is totally amazing. Nina is a great cook and I am spoiled! The sad thing is that the food chain in Vietnam is poisoned with chemicals. I imagine that it is a problem in many places worldwide but it has been made apparent on a recent trip Nina made to Sai Gon. So many cases of food poisoning due to the overuse/miseducation of farmers. The large chemical suppliers (Often US companies but not always) just keep supplying the farmers. The more they supply, the more money they make. There is no incentive to teach the farmers that a fraction of the volume they're using will suffice! It's capitalism run amok without a government to protect the people. Many have died and many more have gotten sick and the environmental toll, who knows. If it is at all possible, i'd like to try to do something about it from a permaculture standpoint.