Do you grow this fruit and what does it taste like: Unusual fruit trees.

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Try Reason, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Try Reason

Try Reason Junior Member

Interested in a few less typical fruit trees of which I've read rave reports. They are subtropical and few tropical. I live in an arid climate which is capable of growing mangoes, pineapples and bananas (with some care) but I doubt coconuts would cope here for example.

Anyway, if you have them at home and nothing could separate you from it or even if you grew it and you simple abide it because you don'twant to see you efforts wasted by getting rid of it, let me know! And let me know if you think it would cope in a Mediterranean climate

Cocona
    Chemimoya (sofia or fina de jite)
    Grumichama
    Pepino
    White Sapote (chris or golden globe)
    Black Sapote
    Green Sapote
    Jelly Palm
    Cherry of the Rio Grande
    Ambarella
    Wampee
    Jaboticaba
    Governors Plum
    Capulin Cherry
    Brazilian Cherry
    Peanut Butter Tree
    Ice Cream Bean Tree

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I have pepino, wampee, jaboticaba, brazilian cherry and an ice cream bean tree. None of them are mature enough yet to fruit so I can't tell you about the taste - apart from brazilian cherries which I have eaten since I was a child. They are tart, but I quite like that.

If you have the space I reckon you should have one of everything you can get your hands on. Food is food, and one day you might need to have something outside your back door, even if it isn't your absolute all time favourite.

I'm subtropical, so I can't answer you about how they would go in a different climate. But pretty soon Mildura may be subtropical...

3. Try Reason

Try Reason Junior Member

Collect them all? Alright, you've twisted my arm!:nod:

Yes, Mildura is getting milder in winter and wetter in spring and summer (which is usually 2 or 3 rain events just to get another crop of weeds going).

Sounds as though Brazilian Cherry would make a good jam/sauce.

4. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

Unless there's 'pepino' tree, it's a smallish, lax, semi-tropical solanum plant.
    Easy to grow and wildly productive. I'm not crazy about the fruit; think melon/cucumber.
    I have'nt even heard of most of those plants, but if I thought there was any chance of growing a sapote, it would top my list!

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Yes you are correct. My pepino is only ankle high. I was a bit worried at first as I thought that it wasn't happy, until I learned that they all look like that!

6. wormwood scrubs

wormwood scrubs Junior Member

I have a few native fruit trees that are a little unusual - all little so far so not sure what to expect,but i have:
    mountain currant
    rough currant
    davidsons plum
    sandpaper fig
    lemon myrtle (not fruit but still food related - this one i have used, comparable to kaffir lime leaves and also good for iced tea)

7. Try Reason

Try Reason Junior Member

Yes, quite right. I shouldn't have included Pepino under the term "tree" but good to get an opinion. I've read that it tasteslike super sweet honeydew melon andI think I've even seen it described as having 'tropical' flavours. What do the sapotes taste like pippimac?

Never heard of mountain currant and rough current. Something new to research!

8. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

I've tried a pepino it tasted like a watered down cantaloupe.

9. Try Reason

Try Reason Junior Member

Well, that probably settles it for pepino. I'd rather grow the usual solanums. At least it has one thing going for it, being a prolific producer. Handy to have if you're feeding yourself.

10. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

I've only had black sapote. Apparently it's actually a variety of persimmon . I don't like persimmons much: squishy, bland, orange...but black sapote's often called 'chocolate pudding fruit' and the name's pretty appropriate. squishy, chocolaty and brown, yum!
    I think mamey and green sapote are related, but white and black aren't actually from the family. I've read that white sapote has narcotic properties and makes you sleepy, which isn't what I'm after in a fruit.

11. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Could be handy to give your teenage kids to ensure they actually go to be when you ask them to. I might have to get one.....

12. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

So far my favourite exotics Ive tried are Rollinia, Sour Sop,Jaboticaba.
    Chocolate sapote was great served cold as a desert
    Tried a few that just taste like caramel (mamay sapote, ) it might be ok served cold??
    not a fan of any of the lychee types dont hate them just dont have the land for things Im not in love with
    or custard apples as they are too sweet (still dont mind one or two a year).
    Not a great fan of Brazilian Cherry but like Barbados Cherry ,cant wait for the first fruit from my Grumichama and will definitely plant out a few Cherry De Rio Grande.
    I dont really have a sweet tooth I like my fruit to have a tang.
    Being an ex Melbourne Boy moved to the sub tropics ,I still prefer Cherries, Peaches, Nectarines, Citrus, Apricots, Plums,Figs and Grapes over Mangos
    The only ones that dont grow here are the Apricots and Cherries

13. Try Reason

Try Reason Junior Member

Anything that gets teenagers interested in fruit...:rofl:

14. Try Reason

Try Reason Junior Member

Have heard great things about Grumichama. Only have one bad report from those I've found who have sapotes. Looking at their trees though I'd say they are too shaded for their climate and perhaps the fruit doesn't mature properly.

I like the climate further up north but I wouldhave trouble leaving behind stone fruit, brambles and pommes.