Wild asparigus

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Matt_95, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Member

I've been trying to erradIcate what I thought is asparigus fern for a few years now. I was at bunnings and their asparigus looks exacly like mine so I ate one of tge spears and they taste really good. I am very happy :D the area is soon to have a raised bet built on top so I need to move them, us it possible to move them at this time and have them recover? Any advice?

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Excellent find Matt!

You can move them, but if you don't have to I would leave it until they are dormant (do they go dormant in QLD?). Heaps of organic matter is the key. I have a friend who just collects up the sheep crap and wool and stuff from under his shearing shed, layers it on top of the asparagus bed each year and BOOM! Spears you could defend a fortress with.

3. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Member

Thanks, I am very happy with my find too.

They sort of go dormant, they stop growing, new spears come up and the old growth dies off. The soil is horrible where they are hydrophobic and I just cut down the clump of palm trees they were growing in. I was thinking a fish in the bottom of the hole and then compost to fill the rest up, I have disgusting soil here. I was wanting to move them now, Mum doesn't like the bare space and Dad and I are putting a raised garden bed on top. I've dug them up through the growing season before and left them on the ground and they have still sprouted. I'm not worried that the crop will be affected either, the spears are already only a few mm thick because of the poor soil quality. I guess I just want confirmation now I know it's not a weed haha