Composting Worms For Sale

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by briansworms, Oct 29, 2011.

1. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Try a layer of damp newspaper instead of soil. It'll keep the smell in, reduce the attractiveness for flying insects and the worms will eventually eat it.

2. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Another tip from me: Buy the horse manure months in advance and store it where you can.

I was elbow deep in it on the weekend and I didn't notice the smell from an 8 month old bag. And it was very soggy too. Delightful. Harvested another bath half, mixed with biochar, ready for addition to my potting mixes.

If it's dry, soak it in water before adding to the farm, drain it off and add. I think Brian may have mentioned that.

3. brassoman

brassoman Junior Member

I'm not sure how easily I can store it. It's going to stink somewhere isn't it? lol

Is it best to leave it closed in the bag? Eight months is a while.

Either way it'll get soaked and rinsed next time.

4. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Brassoman I must apologise for Australia Post's very tardy Overnight Delivery Service. Yours is number 3 out of 5 that have been delayed. Looks like I lodge another complaint tomorrow. Sorry mate

5. Terra

Terra Moderator

Brian what do you know about the Euro Crawlers I read they are the best in salty water (this interests me) is this for real or just marketing rubbish .

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Hey Terra - check your PMs mateā€¦.

7. brassoman

brassoman Junior Member

No dramas mate. They arrived early this morning in very sturdy packaging.

Thanks again

8. briansworms

New packaging idea. Normally they go in a cardboard box but then l need a day to dry out the bed before I post. The worms stress from the drying out and shed moisture thus lose condition. Just trying to improve and get them to the customer in the best possible condition.
    I had a cardboard box get crushed on one side once and lost 2000 out of the 4000 I sent. Not my fault but l replaced them.

9. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Boy Howdy!
    You're all over the place, aren't you?

I was just doing a little surfing. LOL

10. briansworms

Sorry Terra
    I missed this. Supposedly the are thd best fishing worm around but as you say could just be a marketing ploy.
    I get plenty of calls from people down on the Murray looking for African Nightcrawlers
    l know a chap breeding Euros so will ask him.

11. Terra

Terra Moderator

Thanks Brian
    ive tried worms from here in salt water with no luck , I read some worms put out a smell that discourages them being gobbled the euros apparently don't do this so much and cope with sea water a bit longer . I know a patch where I can get massive whiting they often have red worms in their gut so am keen to try worms . They are hard to catch in this area as there is obviously plenty of local feed for them , some times the bite on other bait (no worms in their gut) its a great spot . Be very handy to drop in there and catch a dozen big ones .

12. briansworms

Hello Terra,

I checked with my Commercial Worm Guru. No not me the other one lol. He said the Euros really don't last any longer than the others and still die and turn white. Tiger Worms are said to excrete the smell. I was told by another commercial breeder years ago that he didn't believe we had true Tigers here in Australia. I saw what I believe is a true Tiger in New Zealand. They had very distinctive strips. What I have has a yellow tip on the tail with some stripes. Then others of the same species I believe are reddish maroon colour. They froth up when stressed but I never smell anything. I also sell them off as reptile food. My turtle never spits them back so I assume they would be fine for fishing on a smaller hook. Some do however get quite large in good conditions.

13. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

A month or so back I was really keen to get some Africans, but most places seemed to be out of worms. I think your site was one of the first I looked at Brian. I even ended up ordering a batch from one supplier online, only to be told after the order was accepted and paid for that no worms were available and that a refund would be processed - after the supplier had my money for a week LOL.

I ended up getting some Europeans. I know this will be challenging for me once the weather heats up, given I am in SEQ, but I thought I'd give it a go. I don't have that many so haven't been able to bring myself to use any for fishing at this stage - I'd prefer to try and increase the numbers a bit first.

I love the look of the Europeans. Like tigers they have a stripe, but I find it more distinctive and I think they are also more closely spaced (I don't have any tigers at the moment so can't do a direct comparison). Of course the ENCs are also a lot bigger than tigers, but I gather a bit smaller than ANCs?

14. briansworms

Euro's are bred at Gin Gin Qld so they are in a fairly warm area. I think they tolerate a wide temperature range like Red Wrigglers. They can also be kept in the fridge for up to 90 days.

15. briansworms

Just wanted to update this thread for the fishermen out there. I have been working on my African Nightcrawlers the past 6 months and now have some available. They are supposed to be far superior composting worms to Red Wrigglers but as I haven't really had the numbers before and cant say yes or no that they are better or not.

The problem I had was lack of time to manage the Africans and seems my previous management of them was allowing Red Wrigglers to get in and take over the beds. Touch wood I think I have now got on top of that issue and the beds appear to be free of Reds. It certainly made a difference this year due to lack of work having the time to breed and grow them out. I now have over 10 times the breeding stock I previously had. Working smarter now lol so I am hoping to meet the demand once spring comes around.