Nanoparticles

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Michaelangelica, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

is anyone surprised?

Nanoparticles Cause Brain Injury in Fish
    ScienceDaily (Sep. 21, 2011) — Scientists at the University of Plymouth have shown, for the first time in an animal, that nanoparticles have a detrimental effect on the brain and other parts of the central nervous system.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110919074256.htm

Common Nanoparticles Found to Be Highly Toxic to Arctic Ecosystem
    ScienceDaily (Apr. 7, 2011) — Queen's researchers have discovered that nanoparticles, which are now present in everything from socks to salad dressing and suntan lotion, may have irreparably damaging effects on soil systems and the environment.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110406123027.htm

2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    When will scientists learn to leave us all alone,how many @!#$ ups do they have to make before they realise they are really really bad at playing God.

3. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I'm with mischief. However, the nanoparticles, I wonder if that is just caused by mans stupidity such as littering which is how we have more then 1 gyre in the ocean now filled with plastics.

4. Wolf_rt

Wolf_rt Junior Member

the nano-particles causing brain damage in the fish were titanium dioxide. Nano scale titanium dioxide is commonly used to make house paint white.. I was a house painter, until about the time i found this out...

5. MelMel8318

MelMel8318 Junior Member

It's also used to make toothpaste and sun screen white along with a host of other consumer products. It is the "whitest" substance on earth and most of it is exported from Australia I believe.:n:

6. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I have watched it dug up with large machinery destroying the river bank, so honestly, I am not surprised at all.

Titanium White is the most common fine art material, it is used extensively in nearly every painting be it watercolor, oils, or acrylic.