NEEDED: A THICK AND FIBROUS ROOT! (probably funnier for the Aussie's)

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by macey, Sep 24, 2011.

1. macey

macey Junior Member

Foxy has dug into my veg. plot to try and get the chickens working the beds..... so far he's only got under the first of 3 fences between the outer edge and the main chook run but they are determined buggers.
    My wife wants me to run chook wire in a tench, and I will probably have to do that with this area..... but it got me to thinking, are there any plants that would grow a thick fibrous impenetrable root system that could be planted along a fence line to prevent them being dug under when setting up a new area?

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Off the top of my head - comfrey and vetiver.

3. macey

macey Junior Member

yep, comfrey was on my list as well...... get multiple uses from the planting that way. I'm not across vetiver, I'll look it up! Thanks

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Foxes always work out away of outfoxing you. Housing your chooks at Chistmas Island "detention" centre might be a better option or maybe some electrified, razor wire .
    When i thought i had finally won with foxes they then bit the heads off the chooks through the wire. Old timers/bushies tell me the foxes 'hypnotise' the chooks, somehow entice them to put their heads though the wire, and then bite them off.

One effective local remedy I have been told about was Alpacas. Alpacas hate dogs/foxes and will kill them, by crushing them with their hard breast plate. Foxes will not come near a family of Alpacas.
    https://www.alpaca.asn.au/docs/about/info/6herdprotectors.pdf
    https://www.infobarrel.com/Using_Alpacas_To_Guard_Small_Livestock_Species

5. Sezmo

Sezmo Junior Member

I think they will just keep digging until they outdid you, as someone elsesaid.
    Alpacas and llamas are very protective and might work, they protect sheep pretty well from predators.

The best solution I've heard is Dingo scats. Droppings or urine from a dingo will repel heaps of prey animals, and works on foxes too. Do you have a wildlife park nearby, who might be able to give you a bag?

6. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Fox pepper?

A dog?

7. macey

macey Junior Member

I've got 3, unfortunately if I let them near enough to the chook run to defend it, they'd dig in and kill the chooks :doh:

I'm not really looking for 1 all in solution just making it hard for the buggers with a combination of strategies......
    All of the suggestions for plants may well be useful in stopping the march of grass through fence lines as well8)

8. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I'm pretty sure Opuntia?/ prickly pear has thick and fibrous roots.(lucky them)
    (Although i still don't think roots will stop a fox)
    Prickly Pears have been used for 'natural' stock fences, have edible fruit and medicinal leaves but are a declared noxious weed in Australia.
    https://www.northwestweeds.nsw.gov.au/prickly_pear_history.htm
    I can get you a cutting/leaf from my friendly Italian neighbour if you want one. They would cost a bit to post though

9. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    One thing you could try, is to lay chicken mesh underground along the outer edge of your fence.

Our Dept of conservation does something like this around the park 'islands'.
    Around the perimetre of the fence another is laid at the base, attached to the vertical fence.
    This horizontal fence is set below the ground level and extends out from the vertical fence.

Most animals trying to get into an area will go up to the vertical fence and Then start to dig.
    However,Foxies Are smart so if you are going to try this make sure they are locked up inside and cant see what you are doing.