worms in a deep litter system

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by macey, Sep 11, 2011.

1. macey

macey Junior Member

would anyone bother seeding a deep litter slow composting system, in a chook shed, with red worms as in a worm farm?
    Or just let the local fellas get into it?
    The system is 1.5 m x 1 m with 30 cm of wood chips over a subsoil base, the roosting perch is above and all kitchen waste gets dropped on top for the chooks to eat what they want and the rest gets scratched in by them.
    I wouldn't buy any worms for this purpose but I could definately get some from another permies wormery if anyone can think of any benefit of doing so.

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Not really following that. If the chooks have access they will eat the worms. But you say it's composting so is there something stopping the chooks from accessing most of it?

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    you need to keep your deeplitter dry to prevent mites by throwing scratch grain to encourage turning by the chooks. It would not be a place for worms.

4. macey

macey Junior Member

I see your points..... It was put to me by one of the teachers on my PDC that the presence of worms actually enhances the chickens turning of the compost through their trying to dig down for them and that this in turn will give them a good source of protein without them ever being able to deplete the system completely of worms due to their prolific reproduction and the depth of the deep litter lol
    I was more thinking whether composting worms as opposed to earthworms may be more useful in actually creating compost in this type of set up?

5. barefootrim

barefootrim Junior Member

Every chook house I have ever had,,,was absolutley dripping with worms underneath the litter,,,,

The chook house got a bale of straw occassionally ,,,every thing from the lawn mower catcher bin, every kitchen scrap,,, every weed pulled up, plus anything else I could find,,,,, it got cleaned out periodically and spread around the garden,,,,then I applied a new litter level with whatever I had,,,be it straw, grass clip, branches from cuttings,,whatever,,,,and the worms population was always abundant,,,,,,,,at any one time I could go to the chicken coop,,,dig in any place and get a big fork full of composting worms...... easy peasy

occassionally the chooks would dig down to soil level in a corner of the run,,,and have a worm feast,,,,but thats the way of the chicken and worm I suppose...

Just put a handful of worms in the run with a bale of straw on top (strings still attached),,,,the bale of straw will give the worms a chance to survive the chicken scratching,,,,will give the chickens a chance to play king of the castle for a week or 2 or 3 before the bale gets scratched down to not much.

6. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

The bale of hay would have been silaged so would therefore be full of Lactose Bruccillus Bacteria which would encourage the worms. The chooks thinning out the worms would encourage the rest to breed as there is more space per worm. The whole cycle would be like a revolving door and be an on going proccess which benifits the chooks and the soil

7. labradel

labradel Junior Member

all this works very well in just the afformentioned manner in my garden