Thoughts on America's latest...

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by springtide, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Uhm, that is exactly what is going on in the US with regards to Mexico now. It isn't unheard of to hear of mile long tunnels going from Mexico into the US for transport of drugs. Keep in mind many drugs illegal in most countries which includes crack, pcp, and LSD are LEGAL for personal use in Mexico. Illegal aliens take away American jobs, but supposedly the Americans who already live here don't want those jobs. The amount of illegal workers in Target, & Walmart is staggering. The US according to IRS records this year has the LARGEST divide between people who make $100,000 a year and those that do not since the Great Depression, and in fact, the current crisis is worse then the great depression. In fact, I think this is a Greater Depression given the current infrastructure problems & greediness of Monsanto and Dow chemical.

2. aslanded

aslanded Junior Member

the gfc never ended

The west is bankrupt, the money borrowed to extend the extravagance has run out. China is the new superpower already. Africans are starving because their land and water rights got sold to richer nations to grow food, one of which was China. I am amazed we have kept the boat afloat for so long. You people should go easy on the usa, we use more energy per person than they do and we are generally a more selfish group of people. It's also their awesome military power that keeps us safe. The eu is in way worse shape than the usa. England is really in the shit because they are fundamentally useless. The entire west is way too top heavy with bureaucracy and we can't afford the inefficiencies of our system any more. The problem can't be fixed by politicians because they are the problem. It's funny that the money ran out before the energy did, just as I think disease will get us before global warming. Over population is still the biggest problem. There that's my entire belief system in a sketchy paragraph!

3. annette

annette Junior Member

Yep I think overpopulation is the biggie too. Try and reduce and the footprint and move people around and it just gets worse again. Simple physics really.

As for Africa and the famines etc. Has anything really changed in the last 30 years or so? We need to realise the earth can only support so much. Interesting times ey?

4. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Open borders between USA and mexico were foreseen by the forefathers - even the national song for the uS starts with "Jose can you see by the dawns early light"
    lol:rofl:

5. springtide

springtide Junior Member

With Australia's carbon foot print you have to remember that we have the lowest population density of any first world so tranport is always going to be a problem, America has corn and wheat fields in the middle of the country and we have desert with pockets of green (especially here in WA). Then we also have the obsession with the quarter acre block which helps to spread out our cities - but how many people on this site would like to live in an apartment block.
    I think the next big war will be fought over food and energy resources.

6. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Isn't that what this one is about?

7. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

8. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    course not, that why their funding both sides. They give Mexico giant grants for their fight on drugs and the supply the drug cartels w/ the weapons.

9. aslanded

aslanded Junior Member

divide and conquer...

I was in the states a year ago and a friend was trying to convince me Obama was going to legalize weed. Clearly the reigning power would never give up such a lucrative and useful control device. As bill hicks said, its not a war on drugs its a war on personal freedom.

There are so many great things about the states but that element of deliberate, vicious and ruthless destruction to grow the power base of a few is so disappointing. I think the sickest part is the glossy veneer the media paints over this violence perpetrated against its people and the unfortunate nations targetted.

At least the crisis in Europe is due in large part to incompetance. Bankrupting your own nation, incarcerating your own people and deliberately causing severe hardship is reaching the levels of manic genocide of pol pot or Hitler.

I can't shake the feeling that the darkness of mordor is spreading and that dirty big eye is now watching our every move.

10. aslanded

aslanded Junior Member

In regards to the carbon footprint, springtide, yes we are Australian and it is our God given right to sprawl and consume. It's the Aussie way, just as its the American way of life. We all have to change. The carbon footprint doesn't even take into consideration the coal we send overseas which provides our comforts.

Our obsession with the car has to end. High speed trains should link urban centres surrounded by farmland and most roads within the heart of cities should be free of cars, just for bikes and lined with food bearing plants.

11. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

That is not so far from a description of Japan as it exists today. You will see crops growing within a foot of a road or train track. Sure, the car is a part of the rural landscape there, but mostly smaller vehicles and not nearly as numerous as the US. Never been to OZ, so I can't compare.

12. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Is it? We just allocated millions of dollars not to deal with the economic & iconic crisis, not to deal with starving people or to end fascism. Anything noble to end the current planetary crisis happening on the planet? No, we did it to lay a fiber optic cable from Oregon, to some place 250 miles off shore, deep underwater to bring a f*(#en exploding volcano to you live via the internet.

UGH!!!!!

I would like to point out that the farce called, "The War on Drugs" that costs the US billions if not more annually is NOT burning the Poppy (aka Heroin) fields in Afghanistan while over there that the Taliban and other Extreme lunatics use to get money for weapons and worse.

The above paragraph is a direct result of "Charlie Wilson's War."

13. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I'll be honest, I have NO IDEA what the current war is all about. But I suspect it boils down to greed.

I'm pretty sure any kind of war is unsustainable - entering into one makes no sense to me what-so-ever.

14. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Go see the movie "Charlie Wilson's War" it outlines how the US illegally supplied arms to the middle east, but it's ok, we gave this senator a medal for doing something utterly illegal.

Also, with regards to this econominc blunder with everyone pointing fingers at the US, I would like to point out that these investment banks like AIG owned the company that gave out "AAA" credit ratings to other companies for $. Or as the baseball analogy goes that I heard last night...

AIG and other investment banks are the home team, and they hired an Umpire (credit rating company) & they told the umpire he will be paid after every inning, and if he does a good job being an umpire in favor of the home team, then he will get a raise & bonuses to his paycheck, every inning. However, if he doesn't do good and finds in favor of the visiting team, said umpire will be fired, and never work again as an umpire.

Considering that's how we got into this mess, I can't blame any one nation, I kinda blame them all for allowing corporations to run amok for so long.

15. TheDirtSurgeon

TheDirtSurgeon Junior Member

Pretty obvious you lot on the bottom of the planet know more what goes on here than most of my fellow inmates here in this asylum called the USA.

Alex Jones must have fans in Oz. :)

I'm growing real tired of our Embarrassment-in-Chief running around talking about "jobs jobs jobs" while his Wall Street puppeteers sell off the last few bits of our manufacturing to China and cash in on their Ponzi schemes. And I'm saddened at the ovine rush to the polls every 4 years actually thinking the next flim-flam man will fix any of it. This country is doomed.

16. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You better hurry up and get down here. They'll be shutting the gates soon!

17. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

His? As in the Commander in Chief?

All these economic problems were started under Reagen, Bush I, and Bush Jr. aka the Usurper of the election system. Stop listening to talk shows, and throw out your tv. Do some research and follow the money.

18. TheDirtSurgeon

TheDirtSurgeon Junior Member

No, our economic problems did not start with Reagan. They started with Wilson, and the usurpation of the national finance by the private monopoly called the Federal Reserve. You need a bit longer historical perspective. Well, if you look far enough back, you can probably find something to blame several millenia B.C.

The real derivative scams that kicked off around 2000 are a direct result of the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act, which happened under... Clinton. But that in and of itself doesn't matter. It's all part of a long term strategy.

The point is, the office of the President is just a puppet position. And whether it's a Republican or Democrat, they work for the SAME PEOPLE. That means Reagan, it means Bush, Clinton, it means Obama too. There is no difference between them. All were chosen by the same group of wealthy elites at Bilderberg conferences. I mean... look at our last 10 presidents. Blithering idiots all. Not one of them could get elected dogcatcher on merit.

The Aussies know this. Why don't you yet?

19. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    Ok, Permi-site gods. Please put a gold star by my name for refraining from going on a tangent concerning Global Conspiracy's for worldwide control. God, grant me the serenity ....

20. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

:handshake:
    I couldn't find you a Gold Star. You'll have to make do with a Golden Handshake....