New guy from qld.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by jjwebb123, Jul 1, 2011.

1. jjwebb123

jjwebb123 Junior Member

Hi Everyone.My name is jason.
    I have always been interested in the environment and sustainability.my family has a veggie patch,fruit garden and lots of animals.Permaculture is new term to me.The first time i heard of it was about 6 months ago.The reason i joined this forum is to learn more about it.Meet people who have the same interests as me.At the moment i am a panel beater.But i can see my self in the future working in a horticultural or permaculture job.I hope to hear from someone soon.In the mean time i will have a look around this site.
    Cheers.

2. annette

annette Junior Member

welcome Jason. It's a great place to start your learning. Have fun!!

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Which bit of Qld Jason?

4. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    welcome Jason. Your story is familar to me as I was an electrician (still am I guess) before I got the bug. Now I produce food and teach permaculture full time.
    Good luck with your transition.

5. jjwebb123

jjwebb123 Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies.I am from far north qld,west of townsville.well not really looking at a transition atm,as i just started my panel beating apprenticeship,2nd year lol. but i have always been interested in anything to do with the environment.I really want to learn more about it.extend my knowledge.

6. Mccullum

Mccullum New Member

Hello Jason,
    Welcome to the forum..!! I hope you will enjoy your stay here and will find this forum very beneficial for yourself..!! :)

7. jjwebb123

jjwebb123 Junior Member

thanks for all the warm welcomes.Now i just have to find something to talk about.lol.

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

The weather. That's always a good place to start! Do you reckon it'll rain this weekend?

9. jjwebb123

jjwebb123 Junior Member

lol.well where i am i think it will.Lots of clouds over us at the moment.Has been for the last 2 days or so.Maybe a movie weekend.lol.

10. jjwebb123

jjwebb123 Junior Member

organic termicide

Actually apart from the weather i do have something to talk about.I have been wondering it for quite some time now.Where i live is kinda in the bush,so termites are quite abundant.We recently cut down a big gum tree,to find it was completely full of mud.I have resulted to using termicide around the tree's becuase if i dont i will lose them.I have already lost several fruit tree's.I was wondering if anyone has heard of an organic termicide that WORKS.Look forward to your ideas.
    Thanks

11. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You were right about the rain!
    Don't know what to do about termites. I thought they only ate dead wood. You sure it was termites that killed the fruit trees, not something else and they just hopped on board for a feed after they started to snuff it?
    Found this. It might lead to a more useful link.

12. jjwebb123

jjwebb123 Junior Member

well one day,one of my citrus tree's branch broke off,and when i looked at it it was hollow as was the tree.completely healthy apart from that.Same thing happened to another of my citrus.i take pride and really care for my citrus,so i dont think they were un healthy,and thus brought on the termites.but thanks for the reply...need all the help i can get.lol.

13. jjwebb123

jjwebb123 Junior Member

hi guys.Not sure if this is the right place to ask,so let me know if its not. = ) I am looking at getting some training and qualification in the horticulture area.As by a cert of some sort.While i am doing my apprenticeship.Anyway,i found this place called ACS Distance Education.Its seems to be the only place in Australia that offers distance education in a variety of subject.(online) As the coarse's are a little pricey,i dont want to waste my money.lol. so has anyone heard or used this place before? and if so would you reccomend it for horticulture/permaculture coarse's? it looks quite professional and promising.
    cheers