Sources of Salvinia in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by alex s., Jun 26, 2011.

1. alex s.

alex s. Junior Member

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone knows of any waterways where I can collect the aquatic weed, Salvinia molesta. I'm using the weed for my Year 12 Biology extended experimental investigation and would like to build up a good population of the plants in lab conditions so im ready to go after the school holidays. It seems that the local creeks I was relying on have either been flushed out by the floods or have been controlled by the council's release of the salvinia weevil (Cyrtobagous salviniae).

Any creeks, lakes or dams with KNOWN and RECENT salvinia problems would be great, preferably in Ipswich or Brisbane's Southside, but any location of the plant in SEQ would be much appreciated :)

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

3. alex s.

alex s. Junior Member

Yes! I'm pretty sure it has been a problem throughout most of Brisbane, especially in the Upper to Mid Brisbane River Catchment.

4. matto

matto Junior Member

Amazing biomass on this plant, there is a problem with it just north of Coffs Harbour. Can double its mass in 3 days. was looking into work done by Philipines organic farmers, one thing was about culturing cytokinins and auxins from plants that grow vigorously. Then you can use it to promote growth in plants. Sounded pretty funky way to go about it. This plant must have those organic compounds
    https://www.permaculture.org/nm/images/uploads/Indigenous_Microorganisms.pdf

Maybe contact your local river group or landcare...

5. alex s.

alex s. Junior Member

Just wanted to give a shout out to all those who responded. THANK YOU. I did end up (accidentally) finding some Salvinia. I was at (of all places) Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary with some friends from overseas when I spotted my find. Its pretty crazy, for those familiar with the sanctuary, the ENTIRE lake is covered thick mat of Salvinia. Pretty much devoid of birdlife. Quite ironic when you think about it (being a park full of native wildlife and all :rofl:)