Climate change confusion

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by annette, May 23, 2011.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Ya know everyone, science be-dammed, its not hard to realize that something has happened in my lifetime for the worse planet wide. NYC, I remember had clean air once with little smog & stars in the suburbs. No more. I know the Maldives didn't have to build a floating island to help its people who had rising ocean levels vanquish ancestral islands till recently. I remember when the North Pole was solid, and Jacques Yves Cousteau (RIP) warned us all this would happen... ..and yet within the last 2 years someone swam OVER the north pole in a speedo. Now we have 3 Gorges Dam, a man made eyesore destroying not only a countries own culture and religious belief system, but also effecting very real weather change world wide in the Northern hemisphere due to the new man made lake behind it.

You honestly have to apathetic to ignore the changes, science aside, if anyone takes the time to observe nature, it (climate change) is easily seen.

2. PennyWA

PennyWA Junior Member

I am still looking at those maps. But as far as I can see Rob Painting has no qualifications in this area. I may be wrong. I was asking about the authorship of the maps as the article was "posted by " and as we all know we can post stuff from the internet. Please do not get me wrong I am all for cleaning up the planet reducing consumption and conserving the planet for future generations and I do that to the best of my ability. If the carbon tax pushes companies to reduce waste and polution that is fine by me. I just differ on the statement that CO2 is the major driver of the weather changes we are experiencing.

3. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I don't think it matters Penny.

We need to clean up our act for soooooo many other reasons, climate change is just another thing in a long list. The longer we crap in our own nest, the dirtier and more diseased it's going to get.

4. PennyWA

PennyWA Junior Member

Found the authors of the whole shebang so am happy now, thanks.
    Yep Grahame I do agree we do need to clean up our act and it probably does not matter about actual causes as long as we stop poluting 'cause it's the only planet we have and I, as are most people. commited to make as little impact as we can.
    Annett I to worry about the fact that it is very hard to buy Australian grown food-I hate shopping as I spend most of it reading lables and finding most stuff is imported and much is from China. Apart from the food miles China does not have the quality control re contamination of food that we expect. AND the biggie where does " our green clean food go?"
    Oh well the veggie patch is going to have to be bigger

5. annette

annette Junior Member

Well I hope if we go down this carbon tax price business, that it makes Australian food more attractive than some of the imported stuff.

Just a couple of thoughts........amazing how Treasury can say that it will cost 9.90 extra and that the 10.10 compensation will cover it. I find it extraordinary that they are so clever and accurate to 20cents, considering most years they are billions of dollars out in their calculations.........

If you compensate someone fully for something, aren't they going to keep doing it?

I can't help feeling cynical about the whole thing. I suspect I have been working in government too long and have seen how some policies are made and negotiated in such appalling ways that it would make your hair curl.

Anyway we do what we can, individually and in the community to make the world a better place despite governments. I want a healthy clean and sustainable world. The politicians can keep on trying to score points on each other, go on ego trips, lie and feather their own nests. I don't care cause that's their karma.

6. springtide

springtide Junior Member

I think that most people on this site will be better off - the cost and compensation is based on average Australians, so if we choose to leave a smaller carbon footprint than average then we might even be in the black. I am apparently going to be 100 and a bit worse off and if it costs me that each year to help this country become a little more sustainable then i'll pay double and get things moving faster. I think it will take many decades to collect enough data to get conclusive proof about co2 and climate change (unless all the methane in the arctic is released and most of the planet becomes uninhabitable). So try to stay positive - it could be a great thing, block your ears when Julia Guillard is on tv (so irritating) and roll your eyes when another billionaire tells you how their profits are going slow by 5%, no one is going to stop digging things up - Gina Reinhart telling the world that her net worth will drop to 9ish Billion dollars just doesn't get any tears from me, and see what happens.