Soil microbes

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Michaelangelica, May 9, 2011.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

We have touched on this in a number of threads, usually in reference to fertility rather than to protect plants from disease.
    It takes a community of soil microbes to protect plants from disease

Published: Thursday, May 5, 2011 - 16:02 in Biology & Nature

Photo by Roy Kaltschmidt, Berkeley Lab Public Affairs
    Those vegetables you had for dinner may have once been protected by an immune system akin to the one that helps you fight disease. Scientists from the U.S. Department of Energy's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) and the Netherland's Wageningen University found that plants rely on a complex community of soil microbes to defend themselves against path. . .
    https://esciencenews.com/articles/2...ommunity.soil.microbes.protect.plants.disease

2. ptpermaculture

ptpermaculture Junior Member

I was impressed too

It's interesting that this is so new to confirmed science. People like Elaine Ingham speak of it as well established. It is great to see science confirming experience and observation.

Plants have a Microbial Immune System | Perennial Ideas https://bit.ly/mG8vZx

3. Organic Motion

Organic Motion New Member

4. Michaelangelica

How plants communicate using the underground information superhighway

Purchase
    $ 39.95
    Harsh Pal Bais1, Sang-Wook Park1, Tiffany L. Weir1, Ragan M. Callaway2 and Jorge M. Vivanco, 1
    1 Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1173, USA
    2 Division of Biological Sciences, University of Montana, Missoula, MT 59812, USA

Available online 2 December 2003.
    Abstract
    The rhizosphere is a densely populated area in which plant roots must compete with invading root systems of neighboring plants for space, water, and mineral nutrients, and with other soil-borne organisms, including bacteria and fungi. Root–root and root–microbe communications are continuous occurrences in this biologically active soil zone. How do roots manage to simultaneously communicate with neighboring plants, and with symbiotic and pathogenic organisms within this crowded rhizosphere? Increasing evidence suggests that root exudates might initiate and manipulate biological and physical interactions between roots and soil organisms, and thus play an active role in root–root and root–microbe communication.
    Article Outline
    1. Root–microbe communication as a means of establishing symbiotic relationships
    2. Root–microbe communication that can lead to defense responses
    3. Negative root–root communication
    4. Root exudate-mediated environmental feedback
    5. Final remarks

5. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

dont tell george pell

6. Michaelangelica

Distribution of British Soil Bacteria Mapped for the First Time
    ScienceDaily (Apr. 19, 2011) — Britain's soil bacteria have been mapped for the first time in the most comprehensive study of a country's soil biodiversity to date.
    . . .
    The study concluded that bacterial diversity was strongly related to soil pH with acidic soils dominated by few taxa (groups of organisms). Below ground bacterial and above ground plant communities were closely related suggesting that soil bacteria are driven by the same ecological processes that govern higher organisms such as plants.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110419205530.htm

7. Raymondo

Raymondo Junior Member

Truly remarkable. It would be a fascinating field to work in.

8. Peter

Peter Junior Member

You link doesn't work mate. Can you check it please?

9. Peter

Peter Junior Member

I have done a huge amount of research and trials with agri-microbes. One study I did found an antibiotic producing bacteria belonging to the Pseudomonas species that protects plants from fungal infection. This amazed me and made me realize the world is so ignorant of microbial ‘antibiotic’ use in plants not simply as human medicine.
    The bio-control ability this Pseudomonas species of such strains can colonize the root system and then stimulation of systemic resistance in the plant and the production antifungal antibiotics.
    We are all far from understanding the full power of the agri-microbes and must keep researching and informing people of their wonderful capabilities.

10. Earth's Internet

Earth's Internet Junior Member

Actually there are countless research papers on this and some smaller companies utilize this. It's the Industrial Science Boys&Girls who stifle such info as it could create possible inroads on their Biotech Engineering profits. Mycorrhizal Applications Inc from Grant Pass Oregon is where I purchase mine. Mike Amarathus has already been doing research on a large agricultural scale type of Farming and it works. Replicating Nature however has been shoved aside as a result of the Nature is a bad designer argument, therefore we (Industrial Science) know better.

Agreed

11. Earth's Internet

This is a good video

[video=youtube;1l0ct4jjg3I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l0ct4jjg3I[/video]

12. Peter

Peter Junior Member

Maybe "ignorant" was not the right word but I'm sure you get the drift.

13. Earth's Internet

Here is one of Mike Amaranthus lectures. Runs about 34 minutes

[video=youtube;kp_5J-aPbBQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp_5J-aPbBQ[/video]

14. matto

matto Junior Member

Awesome Peter!

How do you cultivate Pseudomonas effectively?

Is you work in-line with Nacho Zamora and what www.mashumus.com are promoting through Latin America?

15. Earth's Internet

Okay, sure I understand the point. But we are ALL [me too] ignorant of many things when it comes to this uniqueness of soil microbes and all they can and will accomplish. Otherwise our world wouldn't be in the ecological mess it is presently in.

16. Peter

Peter Junior Member

Sorry but I don't know Nacho Zamora.
    Microbes are my business and I use a commercial scale fermentation to produce all my microbes.

17. Peter

Peter Junior Member

The problem is the "ecological mess" is getting worse by the day and governments are not doing much if anything to prevent it.

18. Earth's Internet

And yet those are the very people that most citizens put their Faith in to correct matters. Unfortunately the historical track record speaks otherwise.

You know how it is!

Perhaps you can open up a thread on your products and company for the folks here - Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange

-

19. Peter

Peter Junior Member

I want to help where ever and when ever I can but I don't know if I would be breaking forum rules if I posted my products etc. I want additional agents especially in Oz but as per the reasons above I haven't posted that either. Can you please help me on this point?

20. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

The usual rule of thumb about business promotion here is -

Make it discrete - making every single post an advertisement and ramming it down peoples throats isn't appropriate (which you have respected)
    The business should be soundly located within permie ethics
    Be a contributing member of the message board rather than just dumping an advert and then running away - that involves sharing knowledge rather than just saying - buy my book / come to my course
    And use the Buy / Sell / trade etc area to promote your business and don't spend all your spare time bumping it.

Take a look at Brian's post there about his worm farming business and you'll get the idea.