$42,000 and a new start - is it Possible?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by warriorpoet88, Apr 23, 2011.

1. veganpermie

veganpermie Junior Member

Hi, I think you are already doing what I would advise, getting advice from people who have done it before, to try and avoid the mistakes they made!

I think the most important things are:

That there is enough like minded people in a nearby community, ideally walking distance but maybe up to a 10 minute drive (no more than that, You could possibly switch to a bike or donkey in the future at that distance! - if you don't already). Many many friends of mine have spent enormous amounts of effort on cheap blocks that are too far from the people they want to spend time with and get lonely, isolated and car dependent., better half an acre on the edge of town than 50 acres 20 minutes away.

That there is some work you can do part time, since you may have to get a loan, part time work can still make you free to do you own thing and work towards no paid work, computer skills are very transferable, I know many people doing this and working from home.

I would look for land that is not too crap, my land is marginal and I am working it and it is ok but I would love some better (easier!) soil. You must have enough water to grow what you want to grow. I am Victoria so bushfire safer land would be better.

If you can find land with a bit of a comfortable shed/shack/cabin you can live in that and take ages building the dream eco house. Make sure it is something you could stand being in for a while, don't have kids in the middle of building (or at the start!) and think you will finish in two months - you wont! And rushing building a house is awful, you really want to have a good time doing it and if you are homeless or living in a caravan when you don't want to be you will be stressed (although living in a caravan can be great if you want to be for two years).

You seem to be on the right track, I would definitely recommend getting out of the city if you can, everything is cheaper and the quality of life is much better, I still have nightmares I accidentally moved back to the city! Do find a 'groovy' country town though, one with a good meeting place and organic veggies for before you grow your own! With a social life that works for you. I would rent first and then look to buy later.

So for me, I'd advise getting out of the city and renting in different places and setting yourself up to have mobile income/work.

2. barefootrim

barefootrim Junior Member

Buy bro,

au has gone up from 1500 USD to 1560 USD in the last week since I originally posted,,,,and the good guys expect it to reach 5000 USD + per troy ounce due to the collapse of the USD and any other currency that belongs to a govt that just prints the stuff,,,,,

financial self sufficiency is in independence from the nobbs, in metals- gold and silver
    personal self sufficiency is in having a skill or craft usable in a world with no electricity or fuel, having something you can serve with
    family self sufficiency is securing your supply line of food,,,, permaculture starts by growing a kitchen garden at the back door.
    community self sufficiency begins when you have the above 3 working togeather,,

worth a shot

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Give your money away and join a community garden - it is community that will give you security not property. You will get everything you need, including land by being part of the community.

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

warriorpoet88
    You cold do worse than going to Purple Pear's farm and talking to him
    He is someone who has 'walked the walk' and not 'just talked the talk'

5. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

or invest in a community

6. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
  7. barefootrim

purple pear says give away your money and join a community,,, I'm not sure doing the mother teresa thing is a good idea right now,,,,you may need a few bucks to buy a bicycle tube every so often,,,and you'll need a few bicks for internet/telephone connection to continue on this forum for example,,,,,

but you will find some example in a community that suits you,,,it has to suit you,,,,what if your a biker and you suddenly find yourself in a community with dreadlocked barefooters holding hands in group sharing sessions,,,eek!

secure your wealth in metals,,,buy your self a skill,,, get out of the city and begin the journey,,

Best of luck,,,I'm out on this one

8. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    ROFLMAO
    I can not blame you for signing off on this discussion as it would be difficult to continue to explain how you would convert your metals back to something useful in a world where there is little cash of value. What farmer could you hope to con into parting with food for a lump of metal?

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Tell the farmer that his wife would really like a nice shiny lump of metal to use as a door stop?
    I'm off to join that group sharing session...

10. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    How about scythe and spade shaped lumps of metal?

Health communities have a diversity of people in them, not people that believe the same things or live the same kind of lives. We need people diversity as much as biodiversity, for similar reasons.

11. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

mel just told me what ROFLAMAO meant i was going to ask PP
    well done nice acronynm!
    do you know anyone who would like to plant a couple thousand acorns etc ?
    how many horse power are your chicken tractors?
    peace on
    AMO

12. barefootrim

OK, you enticed me back in Purplepear,,,, only for the sake of comedy and a little banter.

and, to be respectful to warriorpoets original question I'll keep it aligned to that as much I can,,,but otherwise we could begin a new discussion concerning metals as a currency.

In Mr Mollisons: Permaculture-A Designers Manual, there is chapter 14 called "Strategies for an Alternative Nation" ,,, where he describes using alternative currencies and energy exchange systems etc,,, of which metals can certainly be a strategic way of holding savings where they are not fleeced by modern bankers and gubberments for example.

So in keeping with warriorpoets question, the dude has 42 grand,,and I offered a way of securing the funds away from the vultures that say they serve us- vomit vomit. So to the doubters out there,,this is not such a far fetched notion as it may seem. And when it comes to converting metals there are 3 ways:

1, maybe you may find someone who likes payment in this method for services

2, Australia is in the top 3 world producing gold countries of the world,,,(number 1and 2 are south africa and china) so the idea of exchanging your gold / silver coin for the cash price minus the dealers commission of say 5% is common,,,,every capital city in OZ has a number of coin dealers and happily do insured mail exchanges for those in rural areas,,,some rural areas have jewellers or numismatic dealers that quite happily do the exchange as well,,, and then there is ebay!
    did you know Johnson and Mathey (one of australias largest ,(but former)bullion smelters had their gig in peak hill originally,,,,, peak hill is a 2 horse town between parkes and dubbo )

3 some way I haven't thought of as yet,,,but very possible----- permaculture is full of happy little accidents,,haha

Australia (in 2006 for example) produced 240 000 kilograms of gold bullion,,,,, of which a lot of it was pressed into bullion coins,,so someone must be buying the stuff I reckon. Australia is the 5th largest silver producer in the world,,,google it.

When it comes to farmers and swapping metals for trade,,,who knows what these shrewd ol dudes are up to,,, when I was last in oz I went to a wedding near Parkes NSW, and I watched all these cattle cockies rock up one after the other in the new volvo, peugot,mercedes, range rover etc,,,,all crying poor as anything,,but I bet your bottom dollar the next week some of em were having their photo taken in "the Land" newspaper next to their new $50 000 stud bull ,,,, you'd be surprised just how many of these guys have a sock full of soverigns stashed in grand dads ol box for example.

This is not a criticism by the way,,,just my observation from many years in the central west,,,and many years in north qld.

Presently I'm in northern Europe,,, and recently I was cruising down the street in central Berlin, as one does, in this one block alone I counted 8 bullion traders and a couple gold / silver / palladium / dealers in a place called "europa square" that has the bombed church as a world war 2 memorial. The germans love the metals and it is not an alternative currency here,,,its common. Similarily I rocked into templehoff airport ,,,and the lady in the booth that exchanges your other currency for the euro had a heap of gold and silver coins for sale and acted as a small gold exchange. The same was available when I commuted through Vienna and Hamburg airports.

So the notion of exchanging metals ( a commodity) for cash or services is very real. To some, it is no different to exchanging oats ( a commodity) for cash or services. In fact, commodity exchanges do exist and many millions of currency units are exchanged on them every business day.

So back to chapter 14 of mollisons book,,,, securing some of warriorpoets 42 grand in a commodity such as metal (away from the vulture bankers) is very much a sound method in alignment to/with "strategies for an alternative nation" whilst he works out what he wants to do.

QED!

Did you ever read Mollisons "Travels in Dreams" the red autobiographical ,,, in it is a story of the guy Mollison sees in the pub,,,he was in every day, talks to no-one and the locals think he lives with his mum and is on the pension,,,he only had a couple beers and never got drunk,,,,,,, the story goes that mollison makes friends with him and the guy takes mollison to see how he makes a living,,,,,and this guy spends a few hours collecting fishing worms ( a commodity) and makes a weeks average earning in cash, in a few hours, where the locals thought he was an invalid pensioner.... this story is easy to align to if you are a permie,,,and guess what some people do this sort of thing with metals and the like,,, its not my living i'm afraid,,,I just got into coins due to my fathers hobby of coins and have half a dozen stashed away to keep money out of the banking cartels.

I hope this is enough to satisfy any doubts as a strategy for an alternative nation,,,as far as warriorpoets original question is concerned,,,and it was offered as advice to help him, and others, to reach a very obtainable way to being self sufficient financially,,,or more specifically, independent away from the money vultures.

And to those members that posted foolishly and somewhat nastily like metal doorstop, metal scythe,,and couple thousand acorns,,,, whilst I appreciate comedy,,, there is more to heaven and earth, horatio, than is dreamt of in your philosophy.

All the very best,

13. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Nice reply barefoot I wondered if I could entice you back and you did it well. I think we have had the precious metals debate before and it would not be right to hijack the thread.

14. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

is there somthing wrong with planting a couple thousand acorns?
    i have20kg of the critters sprouting because the autumn is too warm here this year

15. warriorpoet88

warriorpoet88 Junior Member

thanks for the nice reply mate,
    something for me to look into for sure.

Im gonna have a look for local coin dealers here in Sydney see what type of prices are are talking about

16. barefootrim

Dear Warrior,

this place has a list of the bigger traders australia wide,,,,there are others of course,

https://www.australian-gold.com ,,,, in brisbane Ainslie bullion are the best,,,,,,, in sydney is Australian bullion company in pitt st.

buy coins bro, do not pay for unique coins ( or coinage with king henry the v111 on it or such ) just buy coins that are 99.999 gold. eg Australian kangaroo, australian nugget, canada maple leaf, or soverigns.

Dear Mr Curr,
    nothing 's wrong with acorns in an acorn give away section of the forum,,,why dont you pot them up and sell em at the markets,,,you might make a few grand with 20 kg of acorns grown out to 12 inch treelings,,,then buy some metals with the proceeds. In fact some of the australian permie designers are seeing the benefits of the oak tree and putting them in designs,,,they need 'em,,,lots of them.

Good luck.

17. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    And don't give a toss for the land that is destroyed in obtaining the precious metals that need to be mined from vast amounts of earth in ways that are rarely kind to the planet.
    but we will not argue the point here as it is seen as hijacking the thread.

18. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

iv a bit of galena/ tin ? lying around what do you want it for? how much is it worth?
    recon a smart bloke could get it without harming the gabions much
    good idea with the markets ill get planting athough the best trees are amost always sown directly into the soil something to do with the 4to1 ratio of the root to top
    perhaps readers could post me some acorns they are wonderfull things

19. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

oops i meant casiterite i dont think there is any galena here!

20. Maggie194242

Maggie194242 Junior Member

Hi,

We have something to offer you.....

Would 20 acres 40k out from Grafton NSW, for $100 per week
    with a long ...long term lease sound?

We are looking for the right people to join us......

This is part of a bigger block of 1,999 acres
    and it backs onto 10 million acres of state forest trailing down to Newcasle.

It has good water and is perfect for organic farming etc.
    it also has lots of good house sites as well........we are all building from containers and fitting them out as cottages.

I run a community solar buying group and I bring in all things solar for every one.....

All that is required is a deposit of $5200 and then $100 from then on and thats it...!!!!

if this is of interest to you or others please contact me [email protected]

cheers all.