Dangers of using old carpet underlay as mulch in food garden

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Veggie Boy, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

I have some old underlay that I do not know the history of. It definitely looks to be made from a natural fiber - horse hair I would guess, though maybe something else. I'd like to lay it doen in my pumpkin patch to stop the multitude of weeds coming through and to reatin moisture. I would lay cane mulch over the top.

My only concern is whether it could have built up poisons in it from spaying etc over the years. Am I being over cautious - would tis sort of thing broken down anyway.

Comments highly appreciated - would love to use the stuff - I'm sure the worns will love eating it over a long period in which the weeds will be defeated.

2. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Have heard reports for and against using carpet underlay due to conta :wink: mination. Used it myself in flower beds and is a great weed mat. Been meaning to post a suggestion for mulching so this prompted me to act :shock:
    Hotels throw out trailer loads of cardboard boxes from beer and mixed drinks. They often already flatten them before putting out in the rubbish so you can put heaps in the boot of your car, usually they pretty clean.
    They are a good usable size flatten easily and each box is double thickness. Should be free and every pub has them...only down side is some people worry about the coloured inks but then just stick to the plain no picture beer cartons.
    Happy mulching
    Cathy :wink: :D :wink: :D

3. frosty

frosty Junior Member

I certainly wouldnt use it

carpet contains lots of toxic glue plus as you say there is the risk it has been sprayed

pesticide residues take years to break down and even then where does it go :roll: probably down into the water table

the glues take even longer to break down

in Germany carpet can only be disposed of in a toxic waste dump

so would you rather have weeds or toxic waste :evil:

frosty

4. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Just for clarification - it is carpet underlay made from a natural fiber. The pesticide thing is what I am most concerned about.

5. paige

paige Junior Member

What about the adhesives in cardboard? What's that stuff made of? How long does it take this adhesive to break down in sheet-mulch? Anybody know?
    Paige

6. j.bruce

j.bruce Junior Member

The inks in newspaper and paper bags are soy based (or something organic like that) they are certainly environmentally friendly. I would assume that the same would be true for green/red/black ink on cardboard boxes. When i did it, i took the time to remove all of the tapes and such, so that there was no plastic, but i bet there was a little adhesive left.... honestly, i'm not worried about it.

I've always been leary of the carpet thing... but that's just me.

7. paige

paige Junior Member

J Bruce et al,
    What I was actually wondering about was the adhesives in the corrugation itself. I always remove tape and such on the surface, but what's the adhesive that holds all that corrugation together made of? Anybody know? :?:
    Paige

8. frosty

frosty Junior Member

In australia soy ink is not used on anything except special chemical free things like our MCS society newsletters ........ it is very expensive

I would think the glue used in boxes would be just the nasty old epoxy or something :evil: best not included in your garden

frosty