Permaculture projects in Bali/Java?

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by livingthelight, Apr 15, 2011.

1. livingthelight

livingthelight New Member

Hi permie friends :)

I will be in Bali & Java for 4 - 6 weeks from the beginning of May. While there, I'm very keen to check out permaculture projects, and connect with permie folk in that area. Ideally, I'm looking to organise a WWOOF stint with one of these projects.

I'm one year into my permaculture fascination, and wanting to expand my experience and exposure to permaculture of all varieties. Finding tropical permaculture in Indo will be a great addition to this intention. I'm an Australian lass who has spent the past 2 years traveling internationally while WWOOFing and acquiring new skills. My background is in Environmental Engineering, and I'm more than happy to contribute to projects all I can.

If you happen to have contacts with permie projects in this region that you're willing to share, I would love to hear from you.

Big thanks,

Erin ~
    https://lightandwander.wordpress.com

2. matto

matto Junior Member

3. permup

permup Junior Member

Check out https://www.baliecolodge.com/aboutus/ Norm and Linda are the owners of this lovely little paradise, and are dedicated permies. The whole place is completely sustainable and is a joy to visit or stay at.

4. Bumbu

Bumbu Junior Member

Hi Erin,
    Did you find what you were looking for in Bali? I'm currently in Bali and looking for similar opportunities but finding them thin on the ground. If you made any good contacts or know of any possibilities please let me know?
    Thanks,
    Bumbu

5. Bumbu

Bumbu Junior Member

Erin, I'm just starting some planning for a new project here in Bali - please see my project brief here https://www.permacultureglobal.com/posts/1998. I am looking for volunteers to help me.

I have located a stunningly beautiful but ecologically/agriculturally depleted area of Bali badly in need of restoration.

As coastal tourism in Bali booms, the people here are deserting their traditional farming roles and leaving their fragile traditional tropical farming lands to be trampled by beef cattle as they are steadily squeezed into low paid hospitality jobs and debt-funded materialistic lifestyles.

I can secure land here for a Yayasan (NGO) to educate and demonstrate permaculture-based sustainable farming practices with the objective of helping locals to restore, revive and maintain their independent, traditional lifestyles and keep their lands viable for their future generations.

We have a dire shortage of permaculture volunteers here. I'm looking for enthusiastic volunteers to help me set this up from grass roots level. Its a fantastic opportunity for new pc graduates seeking some hands on experience in a beautiful part of Asia, literally a stone's throw from the most amazing, unspoilt, undeveloped white sand beaches in Bali. Please help me to protect this incredible region, and help the locals to protect their futures from encroaching unsustainable development!

6. WovenEarth

WovenEarth New Member

Bumbu,
    It seems we are being carried into a very similar cause of caring for the earth and caring for people in Bali. I am in Bali now and have been offered 1 Hectare of Land which is owned by an ashram in kintamani (Landih Ashram) to develop an organic farm/permaculture model system as an educational project for local farmers, children, and anyone else. This model system could provide an example of the abundance of permaculture and facilitate the return to a more sustainable Bali. The long term vision of this is also to creat a farmers cooperative or CSA to give power back to the farmers and take out the middle man. Maybe we can support each other in our visions somehow. I will also need some help in getting this project rolling (although there is already some very nice structure and development to the land). Contact me if you are interested in partnering somehow.

7. Bumbu

Bumbu Junior Member

Yes indeed, WovenEarth, more similar than you might think! I know the Ashram and the area well. It has great potential for what you mention. I will get in touch with you through your inbox.
    Bumbu