Animal Digging Holes in Garden

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by StephenWard9, Apr 11, 2011.

1. StephenWard9

StephenWard9 Junior Member

Hi,

I've buried some Bokashi waste in our garden and it's been dug up a couple of times and Im wondering by what. The wholes are up to about 10cm deep ...

We're in Eltham, Melbourne which is on the edge of the city with lots of trees and scrub. I've heard possums dont dig. Any other ideas? Foxes, wombats maybe?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

I would think fox, cats or dogs

My culprit is bush turkey he digs everything I plant
    Now he has discovered a taste for unripe passionfruits
    I heard pecking last night outside my bedroom about 4 AM still dark and there was another pecked passionfruit this morning

3. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

I have lots of bandicoots , they are always digging up little holes .

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

little cone shaped holes are usually bandicoots.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandicoot
    Most likely looking for worms attracted by your compost, they usually don't do a lot of damage certainly not as bad as the omnivorous, greedy possums.

5. StephenWard9

StephenWard9 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. Im wondering if there are many Bandicoots in the suburbs of Melbourne? Has anyone come across any?

There is some dense wile vegetation near our place so that could provide a habitat.

6. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Bandicoots, I had to look that up! Wow, that's an interesting critter!! We don't have them :)

But we do have critters about that size that love kitchen scraps like bokashi and compost with fresh stuff in it. I always compost those things in a closed garbage can, layered with dirt and leaves every time I add more, and a tight lid. I keep it in the sun so any bugs die from the heat. In about 6 months it's almost finished, then I put it in the main compost pile.

7. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Junior Member

Wow, you've got it made. Sacrifice a couple passionfruits for a wild turkey. I'd much rather have one of those running around my plants than an opposum or a skunk. Much tastier.

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Unfortunately they are a protected species here. And I suspect so tough, that if you boiled them with a stone the stone would be ready to eat first.....