Seeds for Africa

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by Ellen, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Ellen

Ellen Junior Member

We are starting permaculture in schools here in Namibia. The concept of permaculture is totally unknown here, but has soooooo much potential.
    If there is anyone who has seeds to donate / send to us for this cause - PLEASE:rofl: let me know! We will need quite a lot:handshake:

2. copperyon

copperyon Junior Member

Acacia senegal seeds

Hi

I bought some Acacia senegal seeds from B&T world seeds, then discovered that they're absolutely banned from being imported to Australia. I'm having them delivered to a freight forwarding company at the moment, but I don't really know what to do with them from there.

If you'd like them, pls PM me and we'll work out where I can send them to you once I get them.

Acacis senegal is the Gum Arabic tree, grows beautifully in basically desert conditions, fixes nitrogen, holds the soil together, and provides shade for establishing other plants. Should be perfect for you in Namibia. Apparently it's also quite easy to germinate.

:)

3. bobzi

bobzi Junior Member

I just ordered a heap of Tagasaste seeds - the ultimate permaculture tree. Would love to donate some for your project if that's of interest?

4. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    How would it work Ellen? Where would we send them? What type of plants are you looking for? Do you want Basil, tomato parsnip?

5. Ellen

Ellen Junior Member

Hi Purplepear,

The normal mail service is actually working very well and anyone can send seeds by mail to us. Especially heirloom, non-treated seeds, from which we can produce our own seeds again.

Anything will do actually!

Our mail address is:

Philadelphia Foundation for Orphans
    PO Box 1559
    Rundu
    Namibia

thanks so much for the interest!

6. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    We will get some together Ellen.
    What volumes are you looking for? Ten families or one hundred?
    Thank you for the things you do.

7. Ellen

Ellen Junior Member

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!!

Currently we are teaching at schools and local projects for orphans, where approximately 140 kids are involved. We are doing "school gardens" with them, but also tell them to go and apply their new knowledge at home. So for the school gardens we have enough seeds, but when we have to provide seeds for them to make home gardens we won't.
    The veggies that they like and that work well here, are things like carrots, green pepper, green beans, cabbage, lettuce, beetroot, swiss chard, eggplant, tomatoes and then the "common" herbs :).
    Thanks again for your support!