Lamb losing wool

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by shimmergirl, Mar 8, 2011.

1. shimmergirl

shimmergirl Junior Member

My spring lamb is losing her wool.

She got into the horse feed and I guess got bloat, so I walked her around like you would a horse that had colic any way she came good, but then she lost the wool on her ears and started getting sunburnt, so I zinced them.

Now she is losing her wool on her body :-(

My home butcher was at my house yesterday and he said I should shoot her as she will die, cause she is going to lose all her wool and get sunburnt which will then make her die.

So I am going to get a rug made for her and keep her out of the hot sun and just let her out in the morning and afternoon sun and put her out in the larger yard at night.

Can anyone give me more advice and what I should do regarding my little lamb ?

2. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I am not speaking from experience. However, if you have the time to care for her properly and she can grow new wool she will probably survive. I wish you and your lamb the best.

Is it cold where you are at night. Don't leave her in the cold.

3. Glenn18

Glenn18 Junior Member

What breed of sheep have you got?I know it might seem a silly question considering it's a lamb(new born I'm imagining)..Is it a Dorper?They are self shedding.

4. Tegs

Tegs Junior Member

My ewe that got sick with buffle head (and came good - although I am keeping a close eye one her) has also lost some of the wool on her nose and the tops of her ears and is also getting sunburnt. She does tend to keep to the shade a fair bit and I am hoping she will be ok. My sheep are dorper and she is shedding but under normal conditions they don't go bald they just loose the longer fleece with the shorter hair left behind leaving them looking very sleek and clean :)

I think you have the right idea shimmergirl. I would keep applying zinc everyday and she should be fine. Fingers crossed!

5. Terra

Terra Moderator

If she is a self shedding breed that has just been explained they dont just suddenly drop thier fleece and are "bald " . When sheep get sick they get a "fault" in thier wool and it breaks really easy at this fault line and just falls off , same thing can happen if they get fly blown or pregnancy problems or nutrient deficiencies . The wool will keep growing , the only sheep i have seen with bald scars have been really badly flyblown when found and treated and survived. I have never owned any self shedders but im confident they would react in the same way . A big part of sheep managment is manageing feed and care to avoid this "tender" wool as it is downgraded in value . Dont worry too much they are incredibly tough creatures . Your on the right track protect her from the sun

6. shimmergirl

This particular lamb is a marino x suffolk... I am breeding purebred suffolk though, she was just a little ring in :)

All is good with her now, her wool is growing back :) Thanks everyone.

7. Tegs

Tegs Junior Member

That's great news shimmergirl! My girl has also fully recovered and has grown her wool/ hair back, is stacking on the weight and is even in lamb :) Not bad considering we didn't expect her to survive!

All the best

8. shimmergirl

That is awesome Tegs :) It is a good feeling isn't it, mine is well now also and I had been worried she was going to die also, but I am so happy for her now to :)

9. madelineanne

madelineanne New Member

Hey, im new to this but, I'm a senior in highschool. My high school has a agriculture program. and recently we have had are ewes give birth. One of the mothers didn't accept one of her lambs so ive taken it home and i've been bottle feeding her. She is also starting to lose her wool and my mom and i were wondering if we let it fall off on its own or if we should brush it out. any advice would be greatly appriciated.