Through observation...(dodgy discussion)

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Pakanohida, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

The blackberries and raspberries may just be feeling a little lethargic?!

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Only the second?
    Drugs will never be properly managed while there is so much money to be made from them; by lawmakers among others. (meanwhile kids die from impure, or too pure, supplies and crime to support the habit is rife and our jails are packed with addicts-- a great cure???)
    Though Portugal has shown the way
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=portugal-drug-decriminalization

How is it that the USA, the country that invented RoundUP; have troops everywhere in Afghanistan, yet Afganistan still produces 90%+ of the world's heroin crop?

Despite zillions of studies the best science they can come up with re the toxicity of MJ is that the smoke harms your lungs and it may effect the developing adolescent brain. Right! and binge drinking doesn't?
    It is only illegal because people make too much money from it; it is to hard to tax stuff that people grow themselves; and the Christian right (and politicians who fear them) are frightened of it.( as they are of most psychoactive drugs--people may get -the wrong-religion!)

3. Earthwizz

Earthwizz Junior Member

It's a tossup which is the largest industry, drugs or armaments. The Taliban almost eliminated opium growing and, as authoritarian religeous nutjobs, their brand of prohibition didn't have the underlying motive of making money out of it. It makes me wonder if that was the real reason for the invasion of Afghanistan. We already know the excuse for the current money making wars was bullshit. Happy demolition day.

The wealth generation base of our current economy is firmly rooted in unsustainable practice. However, one way or another, it won't last. That's what unsustainable really means.

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

It seems to me that the vast majority of human beings are caught up in the business of their humaness, with very little care for their beingness. When we get caught dwelling entirely in the humaness (identifying with 'I') we begin to want all other 'I's' to be exactly like me. So we end up with this desire for us to be a very bland monotype, people with other views are really quite unacceptable. We reflect this in our desire for monoculture crops, for uniform-sized, red, waxy apples. We reflect this in our desire for well manicured lawns with not even a single weed. It is totally unacceptable for people to be using mind-altering plants. It is certainly unacceptable for them to do their own thing and it is ridiculous to allow them to have any fun, when I am not!!

What we face today is not just a great environmental crisis, this is also a very great spiritual crisis. Until the majority of humans reach a state of enlightened awareness, we will continue to try to dominate, regardless of any hypocrisy. The very idea of us being individuals is a hypocrisy, when we then regulate those individuals with laws that are made to homogenise us.

Until we live in a self-realised anarchy, we are destined to destroy ourselves and the world around us. It is the nature of our separation from our oneness.

If you use glyphosate, you poison us all. If you go to war, you go to war with us all. What ever you do you do to us all.

Well, that's what 'I' think anyways ;)

5. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Am I supposed to disagree here? Just to be different?

6. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

./inhale deeply... ;)

You cannot solve a problem with the same level of consciousness that created it - Einstein

./exhale slowly :giggle: :rofl:

I view it as a great dynamic accumulator for my terraces, and the root system is awesome for holding things in place.... I honestly have no clue what the rest of you are on about. For example... Michaelangelica, don't believe the hype about it damaging lungs. All the test that were done were situational, not to mention Harvard Medical school did a study and found it kills cancerous tumor cells by roughly 50% in the lungs. Besides, it also makes great rope.. better then any unsustainable plastic that pollutes our oceans.

:nerd:

7. TheDirtSurgeon

TheDirtSurgeon Junior Member

I don't know about "the" real reason, but I'd say the opium is one good reason we're still there. Somebody's making a fortune using soldiers to protect the dope supply... vaguely reminiscent of Vietnam.

Probably more money in the oil, though. I'd take a stab at that being the reason for installing Karzai, a Unocal step&fetchit, as our puppet. And surprise! His brother is Afghanistan's biggest opium gangster. Pretty obvious to everyone but Americans... of whom more than half actually believed Black Bush's promise to end the nonsense there.

8. Earthwizz

Earthwizz Junior Member

By and large I agree but there's one bit I have a problem with.

**Until the majority of humans reach a state of enlightened awareness, we will continue to try to dominate, regardless of any hypocrisy.**

It seems to me that any variation on the theme 'Until everybody gets it we're all stuffed' is putting the responsibility for the change we need onto the shoulders of people who don't know we need change. We know so the responsibility is ours. That's OK it's in good hands.

For our own survival we need to repair the earth. We know how and we also know the economic payoff is huge. There's an inspiring video showing the regeneration of desert and wasteland the size of France in a ridiculously short time and with major economic benefits.

The Lessons Of The Loess Plateau https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6886583504345931080

For an idea towards a rapid, market-led transition to our sustainable future check out www.livingsystems.com.au
    It's also a recipe for the self-realised anarchy you mentioned, although that word is never used by me because it's usually misunderstood.

Here's to our extremely prosperous sustainable future.

9. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I see your point. And I take full responsibility for my world.

I must have been a little excited when I wrote that one - I must have felt like sharing some personal insight. I guess the truth of it is, until I reach a state of enlightened awareness the world will appear to suffer.

Feel free to disagree S.O.P. :D , they are just some ideas that occurred to me. I always feel like the big picture is reflected in all of the little pictures, just like the whole universe can be observed in a handful of soil. I guess in some ways I was just lashing out at people making arbitrary laws that stop others from doing things like growing (and if they like smoking) one of the most useful plants on Earth. Ya know!? People are strange.

10. Earthwizz

Earthwizz Junior Member

With you on that brother, although I don't think there's anything arbitrary about our drug laws. The entire illicit drugs industry rests on the mother plant being illegal. Mind you they might have a point about the demotivational effects of canabis. How many more gold medals would Micheal Phelps win if he wasn't an unmotivated pothead?

11. TheDirtSurgeon

Oh now... come on... everyone knows marijuana is a performance enhancing drug! :D

12. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Once upon a time I was struck by another person playing hockey and my femur was fractured, and my knee cap shattered through my knee like someone took a shotgun and pointed it at my knee. I couldn't walk for 3 years. I can't take ANY NSAIDs without puking blood, now comes a plant that actually subsides my chronic pain as I gimp around and work by hand as best I can on my property. Demotivating? Without it, I wouldn't get anything done, ever. I would still be laid up, daily.

Everyone likes to crack jokes because W. R. Hearst, didn't like the idea he was going to lose BILLIONS to the hemp industry (he had a ranch around the size of 1,650,000 acres) so he decided to lie to his own newspapers, create false stories, and personally got it made illegal for everyone. Amazing what corporate money can do.

Demotivating? #1 Cash crop in the world, that has been with mankind since he started cultivation of plants for use is hardly demotivating... ..in fact I find it the opposite. The uses we are denied in the garden is staggering, the use for soil bio-remediation, and so on, but I guess it is easier to just joke then to actually pay attn to its potential uses and learning.

13. TheDirtSurgeon

Pak, I think the fact we're cracking jokes, and not arguing with you, is a sign that this choir requires no further sermon on the merits of cannabis. :)

I live in a state where medical pot is legal, and thus far, the very worst side effect appears to be an increase in tax revenue remitted to the state. I know several people who have obtained permits to grow their own, and as a gardener, it warms my heart to see sativas the size of small trees in suburban backyards.

14. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

From "StoptheDrugWar.org"

Keep the Promise, President Obama
    Keep the Promise, President Obama
    Take Action!

Stop the Federal Attacks on Medical Marijuana

In March 2008, candidate Obama promised not to use Dept. of Justice resources to block state medical marijuana laws. But President Obama has broken that promise:
    The Obama DOJ is raiding marijuana dispensaries at twice the rate the Bush DOJ did.
    US Attorneys have sent misleading, threatening letters to state legislatures considering dispensary laws.
    A DOJ memo sent late last month, claiming to "clarify" an earlier memo that supported states rights to medical marijuana, in fact backtracked on it. While the federal government is not targeting patients themselves, they are making it more difficult for them to obtain marijuana legally and safely.
    Please write to President Obama to express your concern and disappointment over his broken promise. The future of medical marijuana depends on people like you across the country speaking up and putting pressure on the president to keep his promise to respect state medical marijuana laws -- so please use our web site to send President Obama a letter today. When you're done, please use our tell-a-friend form to spread the word. You can call the White House Comment Line on the phone too, at (202) 456-1111, to make an even greater impact.

Thank you for taking a stand. Visit https://stopthedrugwar.org for news and commentary about all aspects of the drug war. Click here for our medical marijuana archive page, or here for our medical marijuana RSS feed.

15. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

For the record, still no blackberry invasion to the former grow area, even though it is autumn up here in the north.

16. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Thought I would pass this knowledge along... ..it seems sunflowers DO NOT like to grow near by C. Sativa. It is the only plant that looks burned like acid was poured on it. Lettuce, cabbage, brassicas, radish, buckwheat and beets love to be in its presence. Oh yeah, still no blackberry as well.