Shamanic Permaculture: Healing Our Inner And Outer Landscapes / Peru

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by SharonJoy, Mar 5, 2011.

1. SharonJoy

SharonJoy New Member

Shamanic Permaculture: Healing Our Inner And Outer Landscapes
    July 5 - July 20, 2011
    The Paititi Institute / 61 km outside of Iquitos, Peru

This 17 day intensive will impart practical tools on how we can live in a sustainable and harmonious relationship with nature while creating a supportive, self-sufficient and nurturing community around us. Weaving together the teachings of permaculture design and the indigenous shamans of the Peruvian Amazon rainforest, we will immerse ourselves into a deep exploration of nature and ways we can co-evolve and heal together.

The course will intertwine three main areas of exploration:

•PERMACULTURE CERTIFICATION: Designing sustainable communities in co-creation with nature. Participants will receive a Permaculture Design Certification upon completion of the course.

• NUTRITION & WELLNESS: Exploring the symbiotic relationship between nurturing the land and nurturing our own bodies and spirits. The course will incorporate daily yoga, meditation, chi gong, nutrition and more.

•PLANT MEDICINE & INDIGENOUS SHAMANIC HEALING OF THE AMAZON: An introduction into the magnificent realm of Mother Nature through indigenous initiation rites and sacred healing ceremonies while establishing intercultural bridges for seeing the emergence of awakened consciousness in all beings everywhere.

CHECK OUT SOME PHOTOS FROM PREVIOUS COURSES:
    https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=28714&id=112233018786820

------------------------------------

For the full description and to register visit:
    https://www.planetpeoplepassion.com/?page_id=428

Download the registration form:
    https://www.planetpeoplepassion.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/SP_July_registration.pdf

Download the travel prep info and FAQ:
    https://www.planetpeoplepassion.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/SP_July_TravelPrep.pdf

------------------------------------

Minimum Contribution:
    $2200 (with three traditional ceremonies)
    $2000 (w/out ceremonies)

Discounts:
    10% early bird discount if registered in full by May 15th
    15% student discount (early bird discount does not apply)
    Couples and group discounts available
    1/3 of the course contribution is due upon registration

Covers: Food, accommodation, permaculture course work, three ceremonies, and transportation to and from Iquitos airport. Airfare not included.

Questions: [email protected]

2. entheopermafuture

entheopermafuture Junior Member

Looks exactly a well matched minded concept to my own. I hope this it is available next year, It would be a dream for me to attend, you seem so like minded. Yoga and Shamanism and Permaculture all being obsessive interests of mine. I am rather excited for this experience.

3. christopher

christopher Junior Member

I just spent a half a week there as a consultant, and this is an amazing place. I highly regard the founders, and admire the work they are doing. I can not say enough good things about this place, and one of the founders, Cynthia, who was there while we were there. Truly inspirational place, and Cynthia is a genuinely good person.

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I wonder if this is a new 'Findhorn' in the making.

5. entheopermafuture

entheopermafuture Junior Member

Wow, Findhorn is a really amazing looking place, I'll have to try to pay them a visit one day if I can. Very genuine concept, I know alot of people looking for a place like that that will be very happy when I direct them. Thank you sir. :)

6. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Most welcome, I suggest reading the books about how it got started prior to going. It is a rather eye(s) opening experience for us permie's. At least it is for me since Fukuoka, Holzer, Mollinson, Lawton, and Hart are all building food forests at the same time (roughly) as Findhorn.

7. gmpm1

gmpm1 Junior Member

Sorry to burst the bubble of some people, but the following is necessary to state.

I just watched the complete videos of the PDC that Bill and Geoff gave in Melbourne in 2005, on sale at the Tagari site. In the videos they rail against the way some Permaculture courses abroad are teaching "metaphysics" along with Permaculture, and they seek to disassociate with any of that, categorically. By "metaphysics," it's clear that they're talking about the yoga, meditation, shamanism, etc., that some people try to package in with their PDC courses. They emphasize that Permaculture is based on science, full stop, with no room for that kind of thing.

Elsewhere in the videos, Bill tells about what a con job Findhorn is, using the terms "frauds" and "liars" to describe them and relating his experiences there in some illustrative and amusing, and pointedly sarcastic, anecdotes.

I think a lot of people who assume that Permaculture is some kind of new age thing would be surprised if they actually took the time to read the Manual. I think this would be especially true of vegetarians, who Bill seems to have little sympathy for. At one point in the video he says, "There are no vegetarians, just repressed carnivores." He's half joking there, but he repeats his disapproval of vegetarianism throughout, as he mostly does in the Manual, with the exception of closed systems where vegetation is not removed from the land where it is produced.

It seems that people often see what they want to see, and when they don't they simply re-imagine it so that it fits within their worldview.

8. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    You would do well to take what Bills says with a grain of salt sometimes, gmpm he has armed himself with improbably truths and uses them and wild statements to draw reactions. By his own design, Bill does not own Permaculture - it is the graduates of the PDC that now determine the direction of Permaculture, within the ethic and the content of the manual. IMO.
    However I think there is a need for caution when blending other disciplines that the ethic is not compromised and things such as biological farming and biodynamics as well as Pan and Devas of Findhorn and the sharmic practices of the Americas and elsewhere need to be aware of the need to maintain the integrity of Permaculture when they attempt to fuse.

9. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Off topic - sorry

I see that my rave was a little off topic and I am sorry - I think the course looks interesting and suggest that people who can walk or ride a bike there might consider going. People need to seriously consider flying half way round the world to find themselves - the planet can not sustain it and when you get home you will be there, waiting.

10. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Shamanism begins at home ;-) (and probably ends there too).

Although ethically it's not too different than flying to one of the PRIs overseas PDC courses is it?

11. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    No it is much the same unless you can make a big enough difference by going and helping but there is real need for that help near home too.

12. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    I decided to shut up now, so that the person's original notice isn't undermined.

13. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    8)Me too - this is a blatant misuse of the posters place and I highly recommend that you consider attending the course. anything plus Permaculture is a way forward.8)
    :blush:

14. gmpm1

gmpm1 Junior Member

Every comment made is accurate, not taken out of context, and readily verifiable. Sources were provided.

15. christopher

I think that is unfair for you, gmpm1, to dump on this like that. People travel, and will continue to do so, and a chance to take a PDC in the Amazon is a good opportunity to be exposed to permaculture in a pristine environment. Additionally, Permaculture is not static, and while I am less interested in shamanism than others, there is a place for that in the big tent that is permaculture. What they do at Paititi is of value to the planet, as well as being of value locally in Peru. I would gladly take this course.

16. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Bill and Geoff hate metaphysics and don't want it taught as part of the PDCs. So? That's not news to me, and it's the reason that the PRIs global network site has a separate category for PRI grads, so the PRI can control that aspect. But as pointed out, they don't own permaculture. Personally I think it's fine to want to maintain the integrity of the PDCs, and I also think it's fine they're sometimes taught within a metaphysical context. I don't know what the solution is (other than maintaining the integrity of teaching metaphysics, which is another kettle of fish entirely).

In NZ if we want the indigenous people involved in Pc it will by default involve 'metaphysics' because those things aren't seen separately from physics in the Maori world view. The only way you could ever exclude those things would be to exclude Maori from running courses. Which would be unethical. I'm sure that situation is not unique to NZ.

Isn't this course in the Amazon longer than a normal PDC? So they've allowed extra time for the shamanic teachings?

17. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

You make a good point, as a 24/7 caregiver I can't ever go to a PRI PDC course overseas, but I do not begrudge someone who does to learn, no matter the topic.

Although, I would like to point out one thing about Shamans, they don't always stay put. They pray for the planet and all my relations. It had been interesting for me to see the teachings of the indigenous peoples, no matter where they are, have their stories and knowledge suddenly being backed by the ecology science that is part of Permaculture.

18. christopher

Pebble, I am one of those who is not too interested in the metaphysical. Here in Belize, much of the "inner ecology" stuff that some courses teach is very alien to Maya people, and we do not really go there. However, in the Amazon of Peru, shamanism is a big part of their cultural world view, so to coordinate the two is a valuable way to spread permaculture in communities whose cosmology is beyond atoms and molecules and quantifiable things. If I had the time, I would take this course. The location is very biologically interesting.

19. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    I am not too sure if you take the point, Christopher, that hopping on a plane to go to interesting places is not sustainable and contrary to the permaculture ethic. People can no longer travel unless necessary - this is important.

20. gmpm1

gmpm1 Junior Member

I hold no opinion on shamanism one way or the other, noting merely that it has nothing to do with Permaculture.