North Carolina Piedmont Forest Garden

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Finchj, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

Hello. I signed up ages ago, but never got around to putting up a introductory thread.

I'm from the Piedmont region of North Carolina, United States of America, and am working on my first landscape. Although it happens to be my parent's property (ok, its technically the bank's but lets put that aside for now), it means a lot to me.

While studying history at the University of South Florida (in Tampa), I rediscovered gardening. I arrived at the doorstep of permaculture through the desire to know what I was actually eating and to tangibly affect some change on the physical landscape. Now that I have my first bachelors, I'm planning on studying sustainable landscape architecture (and possibly ecology) in the United States this fall. Not sure where yet, but I'm leaning towards universities that have an emphasis on permaculture rather than large scale industrial "organic" production. I feel that we need more small farmers, not less.

Gardening wasn't something new to me, but it I last experienced it in my early years. Both of my grandfathers had been exceptional gardeners in their own right and I grew up doing some garden work- mostly just being amazed at what one of my two grandfathers was able to grow, when his neighbors plots were barren. Looking back, he wasn't an organic gardener but I'm sure that he would have become a permie if he had been exposed to it.

Permaculture and sustainable landscape architecture brings hope to my world, one that sees a devastated consumer economy facing the looming threat of global climate change and general environmental degradation. What permaculture has been able to accomplish in Jordan is nothing short of amazing. Combine "Greening the Desert" with the powerful example provided by Willie Smits in Indonesia, and we may just be able to solve quite a few major issues in a responsible manner.

I hope that by studying systems such as permaculture that I may one day help those in need and provide them with a means not only to sustain themselves, but to promote community, democracy, and unity. I truly believe that many of the answers to the problems facing "civilization" revolve around combating our willful dissociation with and denial of our ecological niche. Permaculture treats people with respect: it asks people to be patient, observe, and be mindful of their actions. It enriches the mind, then the earth without any intermediaries to take advantage of a person's good intentions.

I'm posting here tonight to just say hello, there are more of us out here just discovering this fantastic thing you all call permaculture! I'm hoping to be able to share our journey and be able to prick your minds from time to time if I am need of some information.

Thank you all for reading, good night.

2. Stiles

Stiles New Member

Finchj, I'm also in the Piedmont, NC area and am interested in permaculture and edible forest gardens. Send me a private message at some point - I'd love to see what you're working on. I have no official training, but I've been doing a lot of reading. My project is all theory at this point.

3. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

Will do Stiles!