A hypothetical - - humour me

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by sun burn, Mar 2, 2011.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

God I so agree with you. Its ridiculous how hard doctors work to keep people alive for a little bit longer and on the other hand, for a miserable quality of life. I think something should be done about it, but they like it cause it keeps them working. Its why the health costs continue to go up and up.

Wars famines etc, don't really do enough to limit population anymore.

Basically as per the other thread that you didn't like, the only thing that seems like is to continue to increase the wealth of poorer nations/peoples so that they will feel less need and desire to have fewer children. I don't know if this will happen before it gets ugly. People can already live in extreme circumstances and as the pace of change is not catastrophically fast enough, we'll always be behind the eight ball and people will have time to adjust to the new circumstances. By the time the heavyweights decide its too awful to live this way, it will be too late. The richer people will never experience the loss of freedoms that the average person will because they will always be able to have their holiday home, their large wild landscape, take holidays to the wilderness and a large house on a large block to live on. They will always be able to fly to an unpopulated place, without pollution and in pristine condition so they don't really notice how awful it may be for everyone else.

2. Glenn18

Glenn18 Junior Member

Well bugger me for being sceptical LOL...
    Climate change,thats a no brainer...Warming/cooling...depends on who you ask, not all the so called scientists in the world agree but the powers that be seem to be financing the ones on only one side of the fence and try their best to shut the others up or discredit them to the same end(The fact that they are trying so hard makes it smell like poo to start with).How come I don't call ppl that believe that carbon is causing CC,sceptics.I actually believe It's cooling,not warming.Warming is actually causeing the cooling which,in my belief is the bigger picture.Yes there is climate change,like I said..It's a no brainer,I'm just sceptical that It's solely carbon induced,to many things going on in this universe,too much payola,so many illusionists.

I'll humour you sunburn..The wheather is changing,It's getting hotter and dosen't look like stoping.Well the last thing I would do is worry about the rest of the world(There are just to many ppl).I'm on a sloped acerage and have a gully to one side.I would start to rebuild by cutting into the slope,useing our existing house as material,I would have excess material left over and a total earthburm humpy I would have,It would face directly SSW.Over our bermed humpy& gully a dome I would build,all be it rather small.Covered with shadecloth and plastic sheeting to keep as much moisture in as possible.Now if only I could do that,the rest would be simply ellementry.

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

So you would just look after number 1. That's what we all do pretty much anyway, all the time. But what do you think the pollies should do?

4. Glenn18

Glenn18 Junior Member

Track record,pollies aint got one.
    Unicef seems to like breeding generations of starving black ppl(Sorry sometimes I call it like it is).
    I guess looking after #1 dosen't sound like a utopian theme,I don't live in utopia and the governments of this planet surely do not pave the way for the good of the planet.
    What should they do?...Get down off their pedistal and take multi national Industrialests with 'em.Stop wasting Tax $$'s on their cut lunches(Like they would take cut lunches to start with).Remind them of what's been happening in Egypt and Libyia,take back control,remember..They are suposed to work for us,we pay them,sadly what they should be doing has never been on their agenda.I honesty couldn't add anything to your question that hasn't allready been stated all over the world.The spanner has to be jamed into the cogs of the industrial machine and the pepole will just have to accept what comes of it.There is no humour in it for anyone.

5. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

lol I'd love to see you do any better. Bet you couldn't, even though I know you think you could.

6. Terra

Terra Moderator

When the discussion on pop. control starts everyone points to the third world poorer countries , i dont think they are the problem what percentage of these people live to 95 and spent 10 / 20 years in a retirement facility . Not too many , thousands sadly die before they get to have thier own children , and i recon thier footprint would be less than those that live in apartments and sip latte all day . Education , defer having babies for even a year would help , perhaps every third year , a lot of couples already plan when to have children based on thier financial position , some how get everyone on the same team . Never happen of course Pollies want constant growth .

7. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Make contraception free, and abortion on demand legal. Most of the women I know have children because they go pregnant unintentionally. I don't mean they don't want their kids, but I do think we would be having less if women had more choice about this.

8. Glenn18

Glenn18 Junior Member

Hope you don't think I was pertaining to the 3rd world countries in general,moreso to the aid $$$$'s our govt. send to places like that.Thats their pollice's..throw money at something,which really, for the amount over the last 40yrs that I know of have achieved zip in actual problem solving for those ppl.I'm very sure that if the money was put to use creating a permi agriculture system,drilling for water(And state of the art water reclemation) and possibly the building of quick free housing and things like such,would have been a more viable/financial outcome for those ppl.Australias contribution was not the only one also I might add.Track record...To be seen to be doing something when in fact,they have achieved nothing."What do I think the government should do",In regards to the scenario,LOT'S more than they are.But in reallity they won't,carbon Tax won't even start to achieve anything but subsidise the big players at the cost of the ppl indirectly by everyday price's of common needs(Food,electricity) to skyrocket,these prices will not subside in the long term.

pebble has a point,the only problem with that is that the wheels of industrial mechanisims needs ppl paying taxs to survive,only way they can see it all turning is to add so called asylum seekers to the mix(ready population),may I also add..The ones they are letting in have in fact...Higher birth rates than the average christian,would any one call this a coincedence.The system while exploding on it's self(Suposedly,Carbon induced CC) needs population,slow down the mechanisim(Reduce carbon pollution) or slow down the population.One side will lose,and I can bet on which one the government will support.Track record...safe gaurds for the biggest polluters.(For those that believe that carbon is the greatest cause of GW.)Keeps the wheels in motion.

Sunburn,I do not think I could do better,what I am saying is that the government isn't interested in doing the right thing,but bloody good at looking to be doing something.
    The ppl that do go into politics(For the right reasons),usually end up last in the line,dissolusioned or converted.WE are just trying to do what WE can to lesson OUR impact,I do not fool myself into thinking that the government would achieve more if they were allowed,(Big bussines won't allow it.).

9. Earthwizz

Earthwizz Junior Member

The cautionary principle dictates that, even if it turns out that climate change is not anthropogenic, we should proceed as if it is. That said, I have concerns about the exclusive focus on carbon emissions. Deforestation and the massive drying and loss of biodiversity is, to me, a much more likely culprit. Fortunately for the cautionary principle, rapid reforestation would solve both problems. There's an idea for a market-led solution at livingsystems(dot)com(dot)au. It's an idea that needs engagement and development. See what you think and I hope you enjoy.

10. Earthwizz

Earthwizz Junior Member

Harking back to the original hypothetical, it seems there is the assumption of climate change, anthropogenic or not. It makes no difference either way or even if there's cc or not. The obvious sustainable future for our species is in co-operation with each other and our earth. There's an assumption amongst some posters that our sustainable future must be one of sacrifice and denial. One thing we've discovered; the more we integrate sustainable practice into any system, the more abundant and prosperous that system becomes. Our sustainable future will be extremely prosperous and that also deals with overpopulation which is a consequence of poverty. Wealthy cultures are at minus population growth, apparent growth is due to immigration.