Julia's New Carbon Price

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by eco4560, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Earthwizz

Earthwizz Junior Member

Hi Springtide,
    we put a lot of stock in large areas of forest for rather more than just a carbon sink. We know the value of forests starting with our own food forests. My idea (posted on introduce yourself) is to use the marketplace to rapidly reforest the planet and radically change the way we live with each other and the earth. Please check it out and I hope it engages with you. It's the germ of an idea that needs engagement and development.
    robin

2. Earthwizz

Earthwizz Junior Member

Hi Eric,
    Actually it's our responsibility because we are the ones who know. We also know we have the knowledge to create the sustainable alternative to suburbia which will be considerably more attractive, affordable and prosperous than suburbia. We don't have to wait for everyone else to catch up, we only need to provide those consumers with a viable and attractive option in the marketplace.

On my favourite subject of electric vehicles, both these forms of regeneration have been examined however they tend to create more drag than the power they generate. Regenerative braking not only returns power to the batteries they are better brakes. there's huge advances in batt tech. In the not too distant future we'll see capacitor batts which will charge in the time it now takes to fill up with gas. Couple that with the rapid growth of local renewable power generation and we all travel for free.
    Love and yum

3. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Most of the argument i read against the carbon tax assumes we are all good boys and girls and will keep our Sunday School clothes clean if we are allowed to go play in the mud.

Unfortunately the largest percentage of all us boys and girls do not want to alter their lifestyles to live with a lower carbon footprint. Anyone who thinks we can all change individually one person at a time are fooling themselves.

The majority of the population couldn't care less about how much carbon is used to produce a days worth of Electricity for the average home. Its all about Lifestyle to most people, anything (or anyone) distracting from the individuals right to that lifestyle is the enemy, regardless of the consequences there actions jointly create.

4. Earthwizz

Earthwizz Junior Member

If that's your reading of what I'm saying then I'd better clear that up. People altruistically suffering to 'do the right thing' is unrealistic. We tend to be fairly self-interested so it's not going to happen.

There's a view amongst many that any sustainable future will involve sacrifice and doing without, or at least with less. That only leaves regulation to ensure people 'do the right thing' which is a problem. For regulation to work it requires 3 things; that the regulators are honest, that they know what they're talking about and that enforcement is uncorrupted. these things are rarely the case and never, ever, all at once.

Fortunately I don't think that's our future. We've discovered that, wherever we can integrate sustainable practice into any system, that system will be more abundant and prosperous. That means our sustainable future will be extremely prosperous; no sacrice or doing without anything. Knowing this we can appeal to self-interest which is likely to be much more successful. I'm sometimes accused of altruism with my choice of transport but nothing could be further from the truth. Not only is it incredibly pleasant, an electric vehicle charged with green energy costs hardly anything to run. An energy efficient home that needs no artificial heating or cooling is seriously lush and economically smart. No altruism needed, just knowledge and intelligent self-interest.

I'm not arguing against a carbon tax, it'll do a little good and my power bill won't go up. My desire is to spread an idea that has the potential to speed up our transition to our prosperous sustainable future. Not only reversing climate change, turning our planet into a cherished garden. Just an idea.....

5. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

6. warriorpoet88

warriorpoet88 Junior Member

I was not born an Aussie - Just a Human like the rest :p

But if every Aussie is not outraged by Gillards "royal" (check the footage red carpets all the way baby) recent visit to China then i dont know what will.

Passing a Carbon Tax (and believe me its already been signed behind closed doors)
    with the below logic is INSANE

2007 (lifted from Wiki with about 3mins of research)

China_______ 6,538,367.00____Thsnd/Tonnes _______Global %= 22.30%

Australia _______374,045.00 ______Thsnd/Tonnes______Global%= 1.28%

Those are the FACTS PEOPLE
    they cant be argued, debated, voted on or made to fit into POLICY

now for GILLARD to get on a plane and go and meet with a Government (and i use the term loosely) that are the folks that should REALLY be footing the bill...

ask yourself one question...

do you think Gillard will be pressing the Chinese Government on this issue, so as to "lower the hardships and tax that are being forced on "HER" people?
    or merely
    "pass the Tea please"

p.s
    I am not picking on Gillard because she is Labour or Conservative, Republician or Democrat - I Despise them all equally lol:D

- People who SEEK positions of Power
    are the very people who should not be allowed to have POWER - ​

7. Earthwizz

Earthwizz Junior Member

If I were to be outraged by anything any politician does I'd never stop being outraged.
    The only relevant thing is our sustainable future and the creation and implementation of sustainable practice to take us there. Our species, universally empowered, universally prosperous, living in co-operation with each other and our earth. Politicians and their adversarial systems can never take us there. They are only useful where we can manipulate that system to our own ends. Other than that they are irrelevant. Considering them relevant is a recipe for frustration.

Besides, who'd vote for someone who wants to be a politician?

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

That's why Zaphod Beeblebrox got to be Supreme Ruler. He was the only person who didn't want the job....

9. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Please it is not a Tax people, it is the beginning of an ETS (Emissions Trading Scheme)
    ('Tax' sounds better if you are opposing it)
    So odd that the Libs are against this free market approach to reducing carbon emissions and just want to give handouts, something they say they abhor.

10. Earthwizz

Earthwizz Junior Member

Can we get away from this duelist notion of one side being right and the other wrong. It plays into the hands of 'business as usual' and there are more choices than that. How about they're both wrong? Both sides are happy to slug the public, both sides intend subsidising the major polluters and both sides are happy to continue subsidising them. They are politicians and politics is run by 'the money'. In addition, this exclusive focus on carbon emissions diverts attention away from the actual cause of climate change; the massive loss of biodiversity caused by deforestation. The simple solution to that, rapid reforestation, solves any carbon imbalance.

11. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

you'll find that those who deal in the worship this climate change thing don't deal in fact just speculation and the belief. ets is only an extension to the tax to make it look like it isn't a tax, they create a pretend commodity to trade in, this again will only move money from lower to upper echalon and at the end of the day do nothing for their cause, in their make believe world. they make money out of habitat desruction there is no money to be made repairing it.

len

12. Earthwizz

Earthwizz Junior Member

I couldn't agree more, 'business as usual' are stuck in their customary ways of making money. However, because we know the more we can integrate sustainable practice into any system, the more abundant and prosperous that system becomes, there is a seriously prosperous future in sustainable practice. Check out my post in 'the big picture' An idea for rapid global change. Using the knowledge we already have I contend there is the potential to create a rapid transition to our sustainable future. Our species, universally empowered, universally prosperous, living in co-operation with each other and our garden planet.

13. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Companies won't produce what there is no demand for. For the Earth's sake stop demanding it!

Governments don't give anything that isn't demanded of them. For the Earth's sake stop demanding the rubbish they are dishing out.

It's up to YOU [INSERT Uncle Sam style image]

14. Earthwizz

Earthwizz Junior Member