Bamboo in shade/forest will grow well?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by sun burn, Feb 13, 2011.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I read in bamboo world that the ideal place for growing bamboo is in a forest but I think that's because they grow in forests no doubt. However i think it must be a bit different if you plant into an existing forest (as i have just done). I am hoping there's enough sunlight getting through. I had to move them from the boundary because it was too close to the powerlines.

Any thoughts on this?

2. gbell

gbell Junior Member

Hmmm... they're a grass, so I agree - I doubt they'd do well as an understory plant in an existing forest. Guessing though.

Like most grasses they're greedy and try to crowd out others. Because of this, every sizeable bamboo clump and/or plantation I've seen has been something of a monoculture. So while other plants may find a way to fill in the niches later when the bamboo is established, I doubt the bamboo would thrive as the understory underdog.

3. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

Generally, bamboos prefer sun. They will grow in shade, but tend to be smaller or slower growing.

In Japan, we see plenty of bamboo growing in thickets mixed in with moderately dense forests, including neglected, sugi (japanese cedar) plantations, which are quite shady. Considering Japan doesn't much sunshine to begin with (many cloudy days), this would seem to support the idea that bamboo can tolerate shade fairly well.

I would assume that the bamboo would do best if it could start under a break in the canopy. Once the first few culms reach the sunlight, they can feed rhizomes spreading through the understory.

4. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Oh Gee, i might have to replant them AGAIN!. And i can tell you its a big job as these plants are already quite large and one is so heavy i can't lift it. Maybe i will double check with one of the bamboo nurseries.