Cyclone Yasi - rebuilding gardens after a natural disaster.

Discussion in 'General chat' started by tropicalexotics, Feb 12, 2011.

1. tropicalexotics

tropicalexotics Junior Member

Hi guys,

Thought some might find it interesting to follow ours and anyone else's ( aroid's ?) experience in beginning the long road ahead to rebuild our gardens after almost total destruction in the course of one rather windy night.

https://nqheliconias.blogspot.com/

We'll update our blog when we get time .

For now however we have spent the last week or so cutting a track back into our place,restoring our creek crossing,weatherproofing the house and sheds,sorting out the shadehouse and nursery areas and chainsawing many trees and fully mature bamboos up to 30 m and restanding them and this coming week trying to fill and pack the last 2 weeks worth of plants orders amid the destruction and chaos around us.

So if anyone has any photos or experiences of rebuilding gardens after cyclone's,bushfires,floods etc please share them.

regards

Scott

2. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

looking fwd to serious amounts of mulch when thery start grinding all the trees

3. tropicalexotics

Yeah there will be plenty around...Cartons of beer are the usual currency.

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

So your houses are OK both of you? Big hugs. I can only imagine how much work there is and how that will set you behind the eight ball.

5. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Do you think they will give you that mulch? Up here they are going to collect the trees and take them away. I expect they will put the mulch on the council gardens.

What help are they actually offering you up there? I am very interested to know?

6. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

help ? very little really , army is still cleaning up around town .. will be a while before they get out here .
    I know the guys at the tip , where massive dumps of Larry mulch waqs stored .. usual rate is $5 to load trailer , or do, it yourself free .
    palm seedlings is my currency , and my sparkling personality .. cartons way to much, would expect a semi tipper for that .
    Mate who has lost roof at Sth Mission is having trouble competing with Govt 'helpers' for quality rentals .
    going rate is 850 Gov offered 1300 .. so helpers making locals homeless while living in luxery

7. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I offered to come and help you for a few days in the other thread if you need it. The offer is still open.
    $5 for a trailer of mulch sounds pretty good.

The government is paying for the helpers so wouldn't you think the government can pay for the new homeless as well?

8. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

come on down Andrea ,, any help appreciATED and cuttings galore

9. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

ok is your phone on, i shall phone you tonight. or you can phone me if not. i'll pm you my number ok.

10. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

11. tropicalexotics

12. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Thanks for the update. There's some valuable tips in there. Maybe a post with all the lessons learned would be useful to share with others.

13. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

Yeah, great tips, especially regarding use of espalier and cutting away leaves prior to the storm. Would encourage you to write an article for PRI home page when some normalcy returns.

14. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I'm wondering about the need for extra nitrogen at all since rain is full of nitrogen. That coupled with the heat won't keep plants back i would have thunk.