Permiculture Charts

Discussion in 'Permaculture Groups, Contacts Activities Anounceme' started by Elle, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Elle

Elle Junior Member

HI All,

I am yet to do any formal training in the art of permiculture but am very good at teaching myself, I understand the principals and have read alot online but im struggling to find any planting charts. What I mean is something that shows the cycle of the year, each month and what to be planting, companion planting etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You can buy moon planting calendars from most gardening places, and online (like Green Harvest). What to plant when is very much determined by your location - though there are charts for that too. Eden Seeds has one on their website. There are companion planting charts on line for free to. But I reckon the best companion planting info is to read Jackie French's book on it. She explains why tomatoes and basil DON'T actually go together and why marigold can increase your nematode problem not solve it.
    When I started out I also desperately wanted to find the easy answers about what to do and when - but there really are no simple answers like that. The best way to do it is really through trial and error and careful observation. That's why observation is right up at the top of the list of Permaculture principles. Linking in with a local garden / permaculture / transition town group will get you access to the existing local knowledge base in your area. And make friends with a good local nursery person.

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

4. Elle

Elle Junior Member

Thanks guys,

I have learnt alot about trial and error but i thought i would ask. Thats one thing that is great about gardening. You can have lots of fun with it and if it doesnt workout you learn from your mistakes and do it better next year :p

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Elle

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

As a very easy introduction, each week on ABC's Gardening Australia, Stephen Ryan presents an article titled The Vege Guide. Simply plot your location on the given maps, and plant according to the given lists.

Cheerio, Markos

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member