What Bamboo am I?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by sun burn, Jan 25, 2011.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

https://www.photoblog.com/ShangriLa/2011/01/24/

And other stories.

Ok i only got one useful shot of the bamboo here but i think it should be pretty telling so i hope its good enough. If not, never mind. I will have to look elsewhere.

2. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

I should know the name of that bamboo Andrea , are the clumps very tight [ close together ]?
    There was a row of this type of bamboo just before turn off for High Falls Farm on Whyanbeel rd .
    I tried propagating it a few times while I lived there , and remembner how thick the timber was .
    Not many bamboos are that thick ..
    https://bambooman.com.au/Genus_Thyrostachys.html

This guy is our closest supplier and also one of the cheapest , a quarter the price of some of the more southern suppliers .

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

That's what i was hoping. I'll check out the link you sent me. They might know. Thanks.

4. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

5. DonHansford

DonHansford Junior Member

If it is B. polymorpha, Victor Cusack lists it as "SM2" - translated as Structural type; Medium sized; Structural quality 2 (scale 1-5 with 1 being excellent). The shoots are edible, though slightly bitter. Also suitable for heat bending for furniture crafting.

6. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Don who is Victor Cusack? Is he the guy who wrote Bamboo World? Yeah i tasted a raw shoot and I noticed it was bitter.

7. DonHansford

DonHansford Junior Member

That would be him - he also wrote "Bamboo Rediscovered" ($20 from Earth Garden Books) - line drawings and b&w photos, and heaps of info on selection, growing & using most varieties available in Aust.