2 New Permies in town

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by MFox, Jan 19, 2011.

1. MFox

MFox Junior Member

Hi!
    My fiance and I have just returned back to oz after volunteering on an eco village in Southern Israel for 6 months. We completed our PDCs while we were there and became absolutely obsessed with Permaculture, organic gardening, everything sustainable, and building things out of mud and rubbish. We are planning on building our home out of strawbvales and mud and designing our property following strict Permaculture methods.
    We are also wanting more experience and work in gardening, building... anything that relates. We have just finished renovating a mates garden and we have a couple of offers to build things for various people.

Great to join a forum like this!

Get in touch, say hi.

Also looking for casual jobs for the next couple of months.

Thanks!!

Mish

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Welcome aboard Mish, It's always nice to meet new members of the Permaculture family.

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Hello mish, welcome home but where are you located.

Wonder whereabouts in southern israel you were. I worked on Hatzerim kibbutz in years past. Was this eco village once a moshav? does it have a history. What is the story behind the eco village? I mean how did it come to be a permaculture hub?

I would love to see any pictures you have taken out of the rubbish building things. Have you got them up anywhere. If not would photoblog.com do? Its a free and good site. Its where i put my stuff. see here... https://www.photoblog.com/ShangriLa/2010/09/17/

4. Nain Dejardin

Nain Dejardin Junior Member

Welcome! So happy you caught the "bug"!

Blessings

5. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Welcome Mish - it is great to have you join us.
    I have a concern when you say
    (my addition of bold type).
    For me strict and permaculture are uneasy partners. Follow your heart and local wisdom and employ Intent - Observatiion - Intuition in conjunction with the things you have learned overseas and in you PDC. Very good luck and bounty to you and your partner.

6. grefattys

grefattys New Member

Welcome, I'm new to here too. And I don't much about permaculture, but I start to think it's very interesting.

7. DonHansford

DonHansford Junior Member

Welcome Mish & partner, and Grefattys, too!
    Guess that makes 3 new Permies in Town (don't mind me, I'm just a nit-picking old fart :D)

A really good thing to do right from the start is to edit your profile so it shows "Location" - have a look at most of the senior members posts, you will see that you can immediately locate them to, if not a geographic, at least a climatic, zone. this makes it so much easier for someone answering your queries in the future. My reply to someones' question regarding "what can I plant to maximise summer shade/winter sun, will vary a bit depending on whether you come from the Florida Everglades, or Yuendumu.

Welcome aboard all of you - Kia kaha

Don

8. MFox

MFox Junior Member

Hey Purplepear,

I thought about that when I wrote it and you're right, 'strict' was not the correct word to use. I think what I meant was that we are very passionate about Permaculture and intend to use the principles in each step of the design process. We do follow our hearts completely, and that is very good advice. Thanks! :)

9. MFox

MFox Junior Member

Hi Sun burn,
    the eco village was part of a (slightly) larger kibbutz called Lotan, it is in the Arava valley about half an hour drive north from Eilat. Google Kibbutz Lotan, they have a beautiful website. The kibbutz has been around for 27 years, but the ecological part has been really strong for only 15 years. They are still in the process of turning the whole kibbutz in to it, but it is a work in progress. So far though they have become quite renowned for their building practices and the courses they offer, and students come from all over the world to study there and live in the eco village. Our boss, teacher and guru was a man named Mike Kaplin who has lived on the kibbutz for over 20 years, and the ecological village was his vision. They do all sorts of awesome things there- beautiful organic garden, various eco building styles, green apprenticeships, university courses, and PDC courses.

I have loads of pictures and I'll sort myself out with a photo website over the next few days.

Great photos! Well done. That is exactly what my fiance and I will be doing in a couple of years once we get married, make some money and buy a property!

Thanks for your reply

10. graemepaul

graemepaul New Member

I'm really new to this forum and I think I really will enjoy staying here.

11. PennyWA

PennyWA Junior Member

I am a returning user, have not visited the site for about 3 years.

12. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Welcome back Penny. Were you using the same user name back then? Tell us your story....

13. PennyWA

PennyWA Junior Member

Was using penny , but there is another user of that name now. I have 106 acres about 100km from Perth. I and my then partner bought it to develop using organics, but she was killed in a car crash. I am now retired from my teaching position and am now starting to get it up and running. We have an aquaculture system set up and are establishing an orchard and planting native trees for the other occupants of the property to share. Our PET sheep (because all my friends name them so I cant eat them) are very happy and healthy (supplementing paddock feed with hay because we had so little rain this year.) We have had a small straw bale home designed and as soon as we have all the drawings we will start building with the aim of moving there to live.

14. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    hey mish and friends

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Wow - new beginnings! When you build can you take lots of photos and share them with us. One day.... I want to do some straw bale construction too. Love the natural imperfections in the surface. What fish do you use in your system?
    Are you close to Tezza and Kimbo and the other WA permies from the board?

16. PennyWA

PennyWA Junior Member

I don't know who I am close to but would love to find out. We have silver perch at the moment but would rather have a WA native if possibl

17. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Cheers mfox. I never heard of Lotan before. Probably because i didn't have a lonely planet guidebook when i went there. Oh well. Not many israelis there by the sounds of it. Nevermind. Good luck with your quest to buy some decent land.

18. PennyWA

PennyWA Junior Member

I will load photos of the house from start to finish- if I can work out how to do it!

19. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Penny can i suggest you do it on photoblog. I think there is a limit on this site as to how many pictures you can upload, so after a bit you will have to delete photos if you want to upload more. Here's a link to photoblog which is a free site. And its easy to use. https://www.photoblog.com/shangrila Note that the daily limit is 5 pictures but you can load more than one day at a time by changing the date. You can backdate if you want. Mine has more pictures because one year I took out a subscription and although i haven't kept it up, they haven't changed my plan, so lucky me. When i put up pics, i just attach a link to a post here. A few of us are using it. I've been using it for years and find it really good.

20. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Mish (and grefattys, and graemepaul, and Wendy... did I miss anyone?)

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

Cheerio, for now, Markos