Queensland Flooding

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Adam, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Adam

Adam Junior Member

Although I am not from Australia, I know most of the people on this forum are. So it made me wonder, for those who live in Queensland, to what degree have you been affected by the flooding? And for those who have permaculture systems, how are those systems faring? Has the flooding made you reevaluate your permaculture plan?

2. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Although a queenslander, I am far away from the floods (though we might get hit by a cyclone in the near future). I think almost anyone living in or around Brisbane at the moment must be very busy piling up sand bags and moving the animals to high ground. Good luck to everyone out there in the floods. Take care. While those near Rocky may not have made it home yet.

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Is any member/group affected or have friends who are?
    This is one mother of a flood It has been going on for at least 5 weeks now and seems to be getting worse not better!

4. derekh

derekh Junior Member

I'm in northern Brisbane suburbs and 5 mins from BazMan and 10min from GardenLen. I'm ok but it did get tense for a period when I received a text message from emergency services advising the evacuation of surrounding suburbs. While I don't have definitive information, I think both of them should be ok but then again BazMans backyard is one of our catchment dams and GardenLen is in a low lying area. I stayed home from work because after experiencing the 1974 floods, I work in the cbd and didn't want to be anywhere near the Brisbane River.

My no-dig garden has suffered due to too much water and my poor chooks are a bit water logged.

cheers
    Derek

5. derekh

derekh Junior Member

BTW, I finally got out to my property in SW QLD after several attempts (it's past Toowoomba, Dalby and Chinchilla) over the weekend and after traversing several water crossings to discover greenery I've never seen before. I might even have to mow a section of it :)

6. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

only water logged around here given up on the gardens too much water, will plant winter crops very early and soon i think the brassica's might do better. only appears to be road closures and local flooding in and around brisbane, not sure what the anticipated 22 meter flood peak in the bremer river at ipswich will mean to the brisbane river when it gets down to there? might mean flooding of the regular low lying suburbs maybe even coronation drive?

we look primed for another 1974 event should we get a tropical low down this or even a small cyclone turning into a tropical low.

got friends out the brisbane valley without power and phone but no chance of water issues, smae up north of gympie got all utilities but roads cut.

len

7. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

My place is the drain for the neighbours 100 acre hill so that is all the run off I get,It floods around the house but gets away quickly.

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'm on the side of a hill so no flooding at my place, though getting around town yesterday was a challenge due to road closures. Everything is sloppy though. Mostly my water drainage works have performed superbly but there are a few small areas where mulch has been washed down the hill into a sloppy pile at the bottom.

9. Tegs

Tegs Junior Member

Our little town becomes an island a couple of times each wet season so it is just business as usual up here on the discovery coast. I can't help but worry that we are going to see a lot more flooding before the end of summer. I think one impact that we will feel will be that of shortages in supplies with all the road closures. It really emphasises how reliant we are on the outside resources, makes me want to grow more food! Hopefully permies can get out there in the clean up and instigate some positive changes that may help reduce future flood impacts.

10. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

My niece has just been flooded at Roma for the 3rd time in 3 years. She just back in her house 6 months ago and another metre of water went through over the weekend. She can't leave as her husband is a school teacher.

Brian

11. annette

annette Junior Member

Best wishes for your niece Brian. I'm sure she will be fine.

12. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Thank you. Her and the family have done it tough. 1 flood in a life time would be enough but 3 times in 3 years. Hopefully by then end of this year her husband would have completed his country service with Education Qld and they can re locate.

13. Michaelangelica

Something is seriously wrong with our climate.
    Lake Ayre will now fill three times in as many years; this is unprecedented!
    Broken Hill looks more like Ireland than a hellish scene from Mad Max.

I don't know how people cope with being flooded this many times in such a short period;
    and floods will continue for another month as rains make it down the inland river systems!

14. Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey Junior Member

Does anyone know how the PRI Institute at Zaytuna Farm came through the floods? I see through the course information that they have a watercourse nearby.

15. juhill

juhill Junior Member

Here it is a year on from the floods and I'm still affected, I have lost some plants due to being in water for too long but it may have been the shock more than anything we've been here 20yrs and for the most of it in drought so prayed for rain well we got 20yrs worth all at once. The drive washed away having had over 2metres of water over it and so much rubbish including huge trees and stumps hit it, several dams upstream broke and we copped the lot.
    I have trouble sleeping now every time there is a spot of rain.

Attached Files:

16. Michaelangelica

Sorry to hear of your loss
    Can we do anything to help you replace the plants you have lost?

17. juhill

juhill Junior Member

Thanks for the offer but most of what I lost that can be replaced has been, but there are lots of trees that we used for stabilization of the gully and privacy just washed away and I haven't got it in me to redo it all, I'm getting too old to be carting water long distances up hill down dale now.
    We need it to stop raining so the gully will dry out enough to allow us to replace the pipes and drive so we can get things delivered like a water tank we have total storage of 1500gal so any rain now is wasted.... I do know when it will go back into drought as soon as we get a tank delivered and hooked up the house.

18. Michaelangelica

19. juhill

juhill Junior Member

I have heard of that technique but until the driveway/causeway is fixed it will be a waste doing anything as we need to get heavy machinery in and I think even a few more trees will be going.
    I am going to get about 50 lomandra to put in as they seemed to hold on a bit better than some of the other plants will start by putting them upstream near the fenceline, then when the excavator is here I'll get the gully cleared out a bit ..... might even find some gold LOL then I'll start planting the sides with some of the melaleuca that have come up there was a good stand of them in the bed of the gully before, I just have to be patient and wait for the work to be done. We still have to clear the rubbish from downstream if the darn gully will stop running.

20. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I wish I had a bunch of willow and bamboo to send you. :(