BA equivalent in Permaculture/Organic agriculture

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Stefan, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Stefan

Stefan Junior Member

Dear all,

I am currently reinventing myself as a permaculture / organic farmer and will participate in the upcoming Jan 9 PDC course. In order to be eligible to migrate to Australia under the category of 'agriculture consultant' I will need a relevant BA equivalent degree.

Does anyone here know about such a degree that is true to permaculture / organic farming principles?

Many thanks,

Stefan

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Stefan

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

I don't know of any BAs, however I do know that Gaia University offer (or at least they did in 2010) a BSc:

BSc in Integrative Ecosocial Design

Cheerio, Markos.

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Griffith University near Brisbane has an degree in environmental science. You can come to australia as a student but you will have to pay foreign student fees. There may be a similar type of degree in your country. Its a bachelor of science type of degree. Usually three years long.

4. cdoug_e

cdoug_e Junior Member

I teach at a University in the states called Maharishi University of Management. The first class that students take in their BS is permacutlrue Design which i teach. It is a sustainable Living degree and you can do various tracks and one is organic farming. www.mum.edu
    It also has a consciousness based curriculum around transcendental meditation. It is in the middle of a corn field though in the most corrupt agriculture state in America- Iowa. But a lovely community and lots of sustainability initiatives. Also look up www.aashe.org . they list lots of places and some are in Europe.

5. Alex.s

Alex.s Junior Member

At University of Queensland they have an environmental science BA which focuses on sustainability and climate change, they also have botany, ecology and agricultural studies which have diverse curriculum but certainly cover organics. Permaculture is not included in the curriculum as of yet, but I'm sure you could include it in personal research projects.

Good luck!

6. Ben Gleeson

Ben Gleeson New Member

Hi Stefan,

The course you are looking for is called "Bachelor of Ecological Agricultural Systems" and is run in distance mode by Charles Sturt University from its Orange campus in NSW. I'd recommend it to you and to anyone else wanting to do these kinds of agricultural studies at degree level. It does take a while though. Great experience.

https://www.csu.edu.au/courses/undergraduate/ecological_agriculture/course-overview

Best of luck, Ben.