Morning sickness

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by Abernethy Stanley, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Abernethy Stanley

Abernethy Stanley Junior Member

My new son is really giving my wife some trouble. It's more like all day sickness than Morning sickness, some days up to 8 times, from the minute she gets up to mid afternoon. The meds the doc gave us are not working. Any herbal remedies out there?

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

The traditional remedies are Ginger chocolate and peppermint.

Try buying her some chocolate coated ginger root.
    If nothing else you will be in the good books.

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Your wife has a new son and she is vomiting or nauseous up to 8 times a day. Something is not right. I'd want to know what it is. (not that i've ever been a parent but this does not sound like a healthy mother). Is she allergic to something?

I hope you get it sorted soon sorry i can't be more help.

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

A Vit B6 supplement often helps. I agree with the ginger - tea or beer with plenty of sugar sipped slowly can be easier to keep down than as a sweet. Acupuncture can be really helpful. If is is triggered by smells then keeping a half a lemon in a plastic bag can be handy - smell it every time the nausea starts and it helps to calm it down.

5. Burra Maluca

Burra Maluca Junior Member

I'm afraid that when I was pregnant I came to the conclusion that 'morning sickness' was really short for 'morning, noon and night sickness' and that whoever spread the rumour that it stopped after 3 months was a liar. I never really figured out a cure, and I couldn't even stomach things like ginger biscuits that are supposed to help, but I did find that some foods were less likely to trigger it than others. In my case ice-lollies, coca-cola and baked potatoes were what kept me going. Not the most healthy of diets, I know, but you can make up some pretty healthy ice-lollies if you try. I've heard that excessive nausea is related to the amount of progesterone produced by the baby, and that if you are carrying twins (each producing progesterone) then you are more likely to suffer excessive nausea. In my case it wasn't twins, but it did turn out to be that my own normal levels of progesterone production were exceedingly low and that the nausea was linked to suddenly having so much more in my system. Low progesterone is linked with things like painful periods, endometriosis and various 'women's problems', and these days I take a supplement to control those problems, but it was the nausea I had to go through when pregnant that was the clue to what was wrong.

6. JoH

JoH Junior Member

Get her to eat something (a dry cracker or anything she can stomach) before she even sits up in the morning. Eat it, let it settle for a few minutes, then sit up. The worst triggers for "morning" sickness is an empty stomach, dehydration and smells. Get her to nibble on whatever she can stomach to keep something in her stomach. If she is really struggling to eat, have lots of small meals during the day. Often cold meals work better cos there is minimal smell and liquid meals (like soup) help to keep her fluids up. Everyones different with what settles the nausea. Some find salty foods, others dry and bland, others sweet, some even strong flavours. Avoid any areas that have a strong smell (plesant or othrewise) and have someone else do the cooking until it has settled. Keep all of the windows open and have someone else do the cleaning (because of smells).

7. permup

permup Junior Member

I can really commiserate with your wife. I had "morning" sickness all day for 10 weeks for both of my 2 pregnancies. I basically had to control it with constant eating. I did the cracker in the morning thing, and it worked well. I nibbled almonds all day. Yoghurt was good too. I couldn't eat much in the way of a meal, although I would be incredibly hungry, so lots of light snacks was the order of the day. Keep her drinking herbal teas through the day also, but not peppermint.

8. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

But she hasn't got morning sickness. She's had the baby.

9. permup

permup Junior Member

Oh. That doesn't sound normal. Has she been to the doctor?

10. DonHansford

DonHansford Junior Member

~ Useful Herbs for Morning Sickness ~

ANISE or FENNEL seed tea. Make a tea from the crushed seeds and sip as needed. Also useful for pregnancy related heartburn.

GINGER ROOT For nausea that is constant, make a tea from the fresh root and take a sip every now and then. (You don't want to drink a whole cup at once.)

PEPPERMINT Make a tea at night and sip upon waking to allay nausea before it starts.

Red Raspberry Tea is high in Iron and calcium and helps with nausea, and tones the uterine muscles to allow it to contract more effectively. It can be consumed throughout the pregnancy.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Some homeopathic info (consult a proper practitioner, of course)

Homeopathic Remedies
    Many women find relief from morning sickness using homeopathy.

Nux vomica is probably the most common remedy, but there are others and it's important tofind the right remedy for it to be effective.

Go through the descriptions below and see if any apply to you. These remedies are safe for use during pregnancy.

Nux vomica Nausea, especially in the morning and after eating, may be relieved with this remedy-especially if the woman is irritable, impatient, and chilly. She may retch a lot and have the urge to vomit, often without success. Her stomach feels sensitive and crampy, and she may be constipated.

Pulsatilla This remedy can be helpful if nausea is worse in the afternoon and evening (often in the morning, as well). The woman is not very thirsty, although she may feel better from drinking something cool. She can crave many different foods, but feels sick from many things (including foods she craves). Creamy foods or desserts may be appealing, but can cause discomfort and burping or bring on vomiting. A woman who needs this remedy will often be affectionate, insecure, and weepy-wanting a lot of attention and comforting.

Colchicum Horrible nausea that is worse from the sight and smell of food (especially eggs or fish) often indicates this remedy. The woman may retch and vomit, and have a sore and bloated feeling in the abdomen. She has trouble eating anything-although she often craves things, when she tries to eat them they make her sick. She is likely to feel ill from many smells that others don't even notice.

Ipecacuanha This remedy is indicated for intense and constant nausea that is felt all day (not only in the morning) with retching, belching, and excessive salivation. The woman may feel worse from lying down, but also worst from motion. Even after the woman vomits, nausea remains.

SepiaGnawing, intermittent nausea with an empty feeling in the stomach suggests a need for this remedy. It is especially indicated for a woman who is feeling irritable, sad, worn out, and indifferent to her family. She tends to feel worst in the morning before she eats, but is not improved by eating and may vomit afterward. Nausea can be worse when she is lying on her side. Odors of any kind may aggravate the symptoms. Food often tastes too salty. She may lose her taste for many foods, but may still crave vinegar and sour things.

11. Abernethy Stanley

Wow, thanks guys, lots to try there

No, still pregers, when i said new son, i meant very very very new, like peanut size at this stage.

12. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Oh, sorry. How do you know its a son then?

13. Abernethy Stanley

Well, here's hoping... though i like my chances, she has had a dream, and in the dream it was a boy :) Now you might say think it's just a dream, but with the first one she dreamt we were having a girl with blonde hair and blue eyes, which i assured her was just not gunna happen as we both have brown hair and green eyes. But, you guessed it, out popped our blonde haired and blue eyed angel. P.s I realise "popped out" is simplifying the process slightly :)

P.s.s the sickness seems to be easing, we're round about 2nd trimester now.

14. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Well at least there's a 50% chance it will be a boy so the odds are pretty good. Do let us know how it turns out.

15. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Im with Eco, lack of vitamin B but couldnt remember which one exactly it was.

16. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I would only use/advise this in the last 2-3 months of pregnancy.
    It certainly helps with parturition.

Some science on Ginger:-

17. Imarni

Imarni Junior Member

Ahhh so glad not to be pregnant anymore! Ive had 8 pregnancies, only have 3 liveborns though and MS is normal 8-10 times a day for me. To me it sounds like they know the sex but the baby is not yet born? Anyway acupressure bands gave me slight relief, was suppose to be this wonderful sign all is well with the pregnancy, unfortunetly that's quiet untrue!