Hi all, check out my blank canvis

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Abernethy Stanley, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Abernethy Stanley

Abernethy Stanley Junior Member

Hello, I'm new to permaculture, but have had a deep desire to go off the grid, and live more sustainably after visiting the most amazing sustainable house of a friend of a friend many years ago. I moved to Newcastle to study about five years ago, and have been renting until recently, when my wife and i purchased a half acre out of town. So this place is vacant, just the house, garage, driveway, and grass. I have a lot of room, and big plans. So far have established a compost, and a watering system running off the septic, and a plant propagation area. Chook pen, veggie garden, fruit trees, and worm farm, are short term goals, and solar and water tanks more money dependant, long term goals. Have attached some pics of the place, and i look forward to learning off those of you with more experience than i in all things permaculture.

Stan.

View attachment 1008 View attachment 1009 View attachment 1010 View attachment 1011 View attachment 1012

Attached Files:

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Stan

Welcome to the PRI Forum

Nice block! Don't forget to introduce yourselves to your neighbours early in the process - they will eventually form a very important part of your overall design ;)

Cheerio, Markus.

3. Abernethy Stanley

Thanks buddy, will update with photos, but progress will be slow, have two and a half jobs, so i dont get to spend anywhere near the amount of time in the yard that i would like too.

Also have done ligament damage to my knee and have been off work, which is how i found this site. Was doing some research (studying waste technology at uni) on the use of compost in integrated pest management.

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

oooo No hills. I'm jealous! Looks like it will be an easy place to design for. Have fun!

5. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Welcome friend. I hope you get what you need here with us.
    Be sure to consider catching up with the folk at Permaculture Hunter region. They meet this Wednesday at Broadmeadow and usually each month in town.

6. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Hi Adrian and welcome.

One good thing about having no trees is that a place is very easy to photograph. We get a good idea of what you've got.

About the solar system, on Linda's thread, I describe how you can build a very very cheap hot water solar system. Of course with your schedule it wouldn't be so easy to do it but at least you may be able to have it before you can afford to go out and buy one off the shelf. And since hot water is a large part of the electricity bill it could be a good idea.

About a water tank. I've just been looking into those. And I am looking into building a ferrocement house as well - laminated ferrocement seems to the best and cheapest way to do that. You can build your own water tanks this way too and save yourself lots of money. It is hard work also but easier than concrete and uses less materials. I've seen some good videos on youtube and i've just joined a forum called ferrocement.net in case that interests you. My father built a ferrocement water tank on a concrete slab. Its got a crack in it (because he built it under a greedy fig tree) but it is generally holding up well.

Your watering system running off the septic - how does that work?

7. Abernethy Stanley

THe idea of building a tank definitely appeals to me, i wil look in to that.

THe septic is an enviro system that pumps disinfected, nutrient rich water out through a hose. Was just watering the lawn, but have hooked it to a watering system.

ATM all water from the house runs through the septic. Black, gray, and even storm water, would like a tank to divert the storm water, keep it clean, and take some pressure of the septic when it rains.