Dam Plants

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by derekh, Aug 26, 2003.

1. derekh

derekh Junior Member

Hi All,

I would like some indication of what water plants would be suitable around a dam to aid settling. I also have a small erosion problem in the Bywash area and because of sandy soils I also have silt build-up from the inlet. It may be necessary to dredge out the silt before I plant anything. Obviously, I do not want anything that has weed potential.

thanks in advance
    derek

2. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Vetiver grass will aid with the prevention of erosion.

A couple of things you can try with the planting side of things are water chestnuts, lotus and water lillies. There are a lot of other plants you can use but depends on what you are trying to achieve?!?

There are a number of species that are considered weeds... you can always write to Organic Gardener.... they will help you with this question and the others like silt build up etc.

Hope this helps

Dave

3. Guest

i would venture that unless you are a fairly enthusiastic proponent of the culinary delights that are water chestnuts and lotuses, then these plants both have an extremely high weed potential...
    planting trees or bamboo upstream of your inlet would help mitigate the siltation, right? sorry if this suggestion is bleeding obvious. :D

4. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Your right about the weed potential Rich.... i love water chestnuts yet am not fond of lotus....personally i would grow water chestnuts in old bathtubs or cement sinks which shouldnt be too hard to find in your area Derek.

If your not looking for a food source Derek, you could consider reeds. If your looking at habitat, seek Australian natives. Our native grasses are great as well, they will provide shelter and food for birds and other species like frogs etc. (just some thoughts)

Your local Landcare group could be of great help to you as well... they often revegetate creeks and can help you with species that originate from your region, thus helping you with creating a real bio-diversity.

Permaculture is made to be a villian by inconsiderate planting on potential weed species.... Tipuana and Chinese Elm are becoming a pest up here in Qld along with many others, yet ppl still plant it anyway. Always best to check with your local council or shire on what they ban and deter ppl from planting (this should be basic in your planning).

In selecting Bamboo... make sure it is the clumping variety and is not the spreading kind.... i have seen it go rampant without proper containment.

I have noticed that you are near Roma... if you have Redback spiders out there be aware with bamboo... for some reason they love it and breed beyond what would be a normal population in a natural environment.

Like all things.... work out what you are trying to achieve and ask lots of questions. The more thought and planning you put in the greater your achievement will be.

Good luck

Dave

5. derekh

derekh Junior Member

Thanks, guys for your comments. Just a few words in reply:

Trees is one thing my place does not lack, it's covered in them. So much so - it is subject to the Vegetation Management Act and requires a permit to clear (currently, no permits are being issued). It is a good thing I bought the place because of the trees and with a view to establishing a private forest venture.

I am trying to avoid introducing any species that has weed potential because I live in Brisbane (Narangba) and cannot visit the property too often. The soil is sandy but the terrain is quite flat so I want to be proactive with erosion control before it becomes a problem.

I have been hunting the web for questions / answers and "what/if" scenarios. QLD Natural Resources (https://www.nrm.qld.gov.au) has some great information, as does RIRDC, NSW and WA Agriculture.

thanks again
    derek

6. Benn

Benn Junior Member

Here's a thought.
    I a hot, low rainfall area like the one you are in, is siltation of the dam a real problem?
    I'd imagine evap would be a big problem for you.
    I remeber Geoff saying in arid areas it may be a good idea to let dams silt up. This protects the water from evap, creating an artificial bog I suppose. If you have a pipe throught the dam wall, you could still use the water stored at the bottom of the bog - with something in place to prevent clogging of the pipe.
    Don't take my word for it though, what do other people think?
    :D
    Benn

7. Owen

Owen New Member

Hi,
    For erosion I would use Juncus sp. or Restio sp., anything that has rhizome to knit the soil banks together. Juncus lives on the margin and can with stand drought as well inundation. I would keep to natives for erosion control. I love Cyperus papyrus but can really take over. Bull rushes result in silting up and look like shit in winter.
    Cheers
    Owen