Hello, From Vanuatu!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Claire B, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Claire B

Claire B Junior Member

I am living in Vanuatu and have a beachfront site to develop from the ground up... the permaculture way. Planning stages now, although it is time to get feet on the ground.

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

That's exciting! Welcome to the board. We love it when people share photos and plans.

3. permup

permup Junior Member

Hi Claire, lucky you!

Work out your water first (tanks, dams, drainage channels, swales, ponds etc) and the rest will follow.

4. JoH

JoH Junior Member

How exciting. We will be selling our house next year and were just last week throwing around the idea of Vanuatu! I would love to hear your progress.

5. seed savers

seed savers Junior Member

There are issues of people buying beachfronts in Efate adn other islands in Vanuatu. I have seen beachfront buildings cutting off indigenous people living behind them from their fishing grounds. [email protected]

6. DonHansford

DonHansford Junior Member

Hi Claire - just to add to Paula's suggestion - check out the water table first (depth to fresh water level underground) as this can have a huge bearing on safe handling of waste water, without impacting on your fresh water supply. Being a beachfront site, you may have a freshwater lens quite close to the surface, or, conversely, you may have to hunt for fresh water.

Remember - lots of "before" pics, and keep us posted as things progress.

7. Simon_Vanuatu

Simon_Vanuatu New Member

permaculture in Vanuatu

hi guys, I just found this website, it looks great.
    We just moved into a new house on a 1 hectare or so (about 3 acre) block on top of a hill near Port Vila, Vanuatu. We love it here. The real attraction for us, in escaping Melbourne, was not just the weather but the space. Being able to afford land where we can have animals and give them room to move, as well as to have our own sustainable garden.

The land seems very fertile, things grow quickly. At this time of year it rains so often that there is no need to worry about watering. That will change in the dry season of course. Our water comes from a local dam, provided by the local service provider. We have a water conditioner to take the calcium out. I'm not sure whether this is as necessary for the garden as it is for the housewater? I'd like to installing some rainwater tanks, especially for the garden.

I know how important planning and design are in permaculture. Given how little I know about the subject, where's a good place to start? I was going to seem a landscaper's advice anyway, so does anyone know a permaculture consultant in Vanuatu? A long shot but worth asking!

Claire B - I have sent you a PM.

thanks all
    Simon
    Vanuatu

8. theGreenBackpack

theGreenBackpack New Member

Vanuatu PDC on Ifira Island

You guys still practicing permaculture in/around Port Villa?

We are working with local NGO ADRA-Vanuatu to help them launch a permaculture-based Food Security project serving communities on Efate, Malekula & Santo islands.

Would love to connect with any locally practicing permies to learn from your experiences!

You can learn more about the project at https://theGreenBackpack.net, or please drop me a line at [email protected]. We plan to visit the Botanical Gardens in Villa tomorrow ;)