self manufacture - looking for new ideas of how to increse

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by moran, Aug 24, 2003.

1. moran

moran New Member

hello everyone... im looking for information about everyday things we use, which i can make at home with other women (other then growing veg. ) any ideas or conections/links will be helpfull for me :O
    thanks , moran

2. d_donahoo

d_donahoo Junior Member

moran.

send me an email. too much to list here, but we make our own:

yogurt, hard boiled lollies, soy milk, tofu, herb vinegars, apple cider, ginger beer, stout, apple cider vinegar, pasta, eggs (well the chooks make those), bath salts, soap, washing machine and dishwashing liquid, pesto, sun dried tomatoes, dried fruit, bottled fruit and veges and pickles and baked beans.

all of this we do organically, and it is an integral part of our permaculture system. it means we can work for $$$ less, but put time into our household, our family and planning and developing 'gezellig'...our future permaculture property.

the sky is the limit. if we had our own goat or house cow i'm sure we'd produce our own milk - and know a few people who do - plus ricotta and other soft cheeses.

more than happy to help out with places to find recipes...jackie french...australian gardening and self sustaining icon is a good place to start.

cheers

3. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

I have a few books on making your own recipes for everyday items that we use around the house including eating, energy saving and housekeeping... they are:

'Green Living' by Sarah Callard and Diane Millis

'Back to Basics' by Joy Laundy

'It's so Natural' by Alan Hayes

The top two i bought from a major bookstore for around $5-6 each.

There are many other books as well. I have found it reasonably difficult to find these kinds of recipes available on the net.

Cheers... Dave

4. d_donahoo

d_donahoo Junior Member

5. Barbara

Barbara New Member

Good morning,

If you are at all crafty and like sewing you could make cushions, covers for kitchen equipment, pot holders, quilts, pillowcases from old sheets (add a little embroidery and they will look fabulous), aprons. You could cross stitch a wall hanging. Make children's clothes - and save a small fortune, or sell them at the markets and make a small/comfortable living. Use old bits of material cut to length to make a rag rug, I have a pattern if you would like a copy. Make your own perfumed oils for use in the bath, or bath bombs and bath salts. These are all easy and quite economical to make. You could make children's cloth toys - always popular with small ones. If you can do woodwork why not try your hand at boys toys - eg trailers of blocks, trucks and cars, small animals. Growing vegetables is fun and tasty, but crafty things give a sense of achievement quicker. Why not try your hand at jam making, it is also fun and tasty and gives a lot for a little effort, can be done with friends and shared. This is enough for now or I will be here all day. Hope this helps.

Enjoy yourself. Barbara