transplanting beans

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by j_cornelissen, Nov 13, 2010.

1. j_cornelissen

j_cornelissen Junior Member

Hi guys,

planted some beans in loo role in anticipation of my potatoes being ready for harvesting and hence having some space for the beans.

Beans are going well but it looks like I mistimed the planting of the beans as it will take at least another 2-3 weeks before I can get the potatoes out. The beans are therefore a bit bigger than I initially planned.

My question is; is it possible to plant the beans a bit deeper than usual, just like you would do with tomatoes?
    Has anyone tried this?

Cheers, Jan

2. ebunny

ebunny Junior Member

I had to move a raised garden bed (huge effort but my designer friend was right) and there were broad beans in them. I'd heard they didn't like to be moved, so I treated them quite roughly, thinking that I would lose them. They were about waist height but not yet flowering and there were about six clumps of them. They were out of the ground for about 3 hours, sitting in a tubbie with set soil, though not perfectly covered as there were so many and they ALL survived. I have so many broad beans now, I hardly know what to do (if anyone has a killer recipe, let me know).

So I would say give it a go and see....:p

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Put a sign up somewhere about the broad beans. The people who like broad beans LOVE broad beans especially if they are fresh.

You can make felafel from broad beans or pate, and you can dry them for later use.

4. j_cornelissen

I'm not really worried about transplanting the beans, wondered if anyone ever tried planting them really deep, as seems to be the way to go with larger tomato plants, and even things like gum trees etc

5. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I don't have a recipe but my uncle Jim used to make killer broad beans napolitan. That is, he made them in a tomato sauce with garlic. They were extremely excellent so why don't you give that a go. I am not suggesting you server them over spaghetti. We ate them on their own as a veg along with the rest of the meal. I think this idea came from the middle east so why not have a look in middle eastern quarters for more recipes/inspiration.

6. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Jan, the reason you can do that with tomatoes is because they propagate from cuttings - you can pinch off the lateral new growth and grow a new plant from that, so the stem tissue has the ability to grow roots. I don't know if you can do that with beans. Broad beans would be worth a shot (don't they have lateral shoots?). Runner beans seem a different kettle of fish, but I don't really know. What kind of beans do you have? If it were me I'd try a couple and see what happens.

I'm curious, why do you want to plant them deeper?

7. j_cornelissen

Hi Pebble,

I want to plant them deeper 'cos due to the delayed planting, I will end up with a lot of plant on relatively little roots.

have been following the success of deep planting of all kinds of plants, with increased root formation and hence growth compared to conventional planting, just wondering if this would be a good idea.

will give it a go with some of the seedlings and will let you guys know

8. SueUSA

SueUSA Junior Member

I asked a Master Gardener that question, and he said NO.

He said few plants can do what tomatoes can do. He said that the tomato will produce roots from the stem, but beans won't, they are likely to just rot.

Plant them at the same level, but pinch off some of the top growth to help give the plant time to get their 'feet' under them.

Sue

9. ebunny

ebunny Junior Member

By the way, put the broad beans into a green curry the other night and they were yum. I also gave some to my Egyptian friend at work who eats them likes sweets straight from the pod. She did say they are nice blanched, then fried with garlic, onion and butter. Just in case you wanted to know....