Bread

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ~Tullymoor~, Sep 22, 2005.

1. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Shane..oooooh Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane,
    Can you please, please explain again what to do once the starter's active?

I need you to keep it in two seperate parts..
    ie: 1/ How to make the bread
    and 2/ what to do with the 10mm of leftover starter,
    not talk about both things in the one description.
    LOL I know, I'm a bit dense.
    I think I learn better by hearing rather than reading...is there a name for that?

Message to wise guys among us: DO NOT say Yeah, there's a name....dumb as a bag of hammers!

2. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Oh, Great Queen Tullymoor, Hunter of Tagas, Creator of the Folly, and Maker of Sourdough,

Bubbling is good! Sounds like you have the culture going (and you always had plenty of cultcha)... When you make your bread, hold on to a small amount and add your ingredients to keep the cultcha going.

Dawn says we have plenty of airborne yeasty beasties so she never saves any.

Tullymoor and Tam, I really like both of your avatars. Your is very beautiful Tam, and Tullymoor, yours is both wonderfully warm and creative (I get a giggle everytime I look at it). It captures your radiance and your warmth.

I remain, your humble servant,

Pw Cw

3. Penny

Penny Junior Member

Bread

My grandma used to make her own bread on the farm.She used a potatoe starter instead of yeast. I think I'll ask my dad how it was done. I love fresh home made bread and the smell is the best.

4. ~Tullymoor~

Dear sweet Pwince Cwistofa, You are a silly nong aren't you??

Read what you wrote and pretend you've never heard of starter before......

>>>>>When you make your bread, hold on to a small amount and add your ingredients to keep the cultcha going.

5. Shane Bentley

Shane Bentley Junior Member

Tully
    Excellent it sounds really good that you have some activity happening with your starter.
    OK (1) Add most of the starter with some luke warm water and salt then stir in the flour until it forms a dough of good consistency. Knead for approx 10mins until silky smooth. Place back in bowel covered with a moist tea towel so that the dough doesn’t form a crust (not yet). Place in a nice warm place until it has approx doubled in size (may not reach this size) – this could take any where from 3 -6 hours or even longer, it just depends on how aggressive your starter is. Then punch down dough, knead again – briefly, and tin. Dough should approx ½ fill the tin – leave long enough in warm place covered with damp teatowel until dough rises to ¾ of the height of the tin. Then bake in oven any where from 350 – 425degF from 1hr to 2hr or when you can tap the bottom of the un-tinned loaf and it sounds hollow. Obviously the lower the temp the longer the bake – please experiment with different temps & times you would be amazed the difference it can make on the outcome – all good off course.
    Also the best time to start a loaf is first up in the morning – both energetically and time wise.
    (2) Starter – once you have added most the starter to the dough mixture the remaining starter should be placed into a jar sterilized by rinsing with boiling water and the same with the lid. Then add water say to 2/3 of the jar then stir in flour until the consistency of a pancake batter is achieved. Store in the fridge until required next bake, then remove from fridge say an hour or so before required so it can reach room temperature. It is best to use the starter often, say every week, however I have left starters in the fridge for months, even though they smell pretty rank they still worked fine, and after a few uses they returned to their former smell.
    All the best Tully hope all goes well. Also I might post a few photos from my next bread making session.
    Shane

6. ~Tullymoor~

THANK YOU Shane! :D

One thing though...you knew it didn't you??!!...
    Section 1, breadmaking...how *much* lukewarm water and salt...have you found your book yet?? LOL

And, section2, the leftover starter. When I want to make the next loaf,(HAHAHA Hysterical to think that I'll get to making a SECOND one!!!) I use most of the starter again like the first time, leaving 10 mm in the bottom of the jar to add flour to it and the pancakee consistency thing and return to the fridge?

Thank you, thank you, thank you...I know I'm a pain :oops:

7. Shane Bentley

OK Tully I pulled out “Healing with whole foods” even though it is not the book I intended it has a good section on sourdough. I have converted the measurements for a single loaf and added a bit of my artistic stuff, here goes for you who insist on measurements:
    5 (probably more) cups whole wheat flour
    ½ teaspoon salt
    2 cups water
    1 cup starter
    I know when starting out on something new we feel safer if we have some figures that we can rely on for security.
    Shane

8. christopher

Shane,

Healing with Whole Foods is like Dawns Bible, or something. She quotes it to me all the time and it comes up in conversation.

Oh, Great Queen Tullymoor, Hunter of Tagas, Creator of the Folly, and Maker of Sourdough,

If thou desirest me to be a silly nong (whaddevuh dat is), I shall be thine Silly Nong until thy releaseth me from my state of Silly Nong-hood.

What I meant to say was, when you are ready to make the bread, hold back some of the starter cultcha, so as to retain a supply of the correct beasties to start the next batch. That way you have some cultcha..... (start listening to Bach...) ambiguous?

I remain, ever your humblest of servants,

Pwince Cwistofa, Silliest of all Nongs :love7: :love4: :love10:

9. Shane Bentley

Tully how is that sourdough bread going?
    Shane

10. ~Tullymoor~

Hi Shane, :D
    I read up a bit more on it (the more I read the clearer it becomes...well that's the theory lol) and realised I had to feed it each day 1 cup flour, one cup water, mix well, clean out your jar and return it all to the clean jar. I also put the new one I started into the nice and hot freshly washed jar, outside in a warm place out of direct sunlight. It was sweet smelling and definately a goer after 2 days. This is when I should have made some bread, fed the starter and put it in the fridge, but I didn't due to things happening. So, it died I think...was watery and sour smelling.
    I have tossed it but have learned from the experience and certainly know what to do next time. I will start another one proddly next week and I will make bread and I will let you know how I go.
    Thanks for asking and thankyou for all the info :D :D

PS I found this site in my travels...https://www.littletree.com.au/bread.htm

11. ~Tullymoor~

Oh, by the way, I made my very first homemade bread....no breadmaker!
    I used the stoneground wheat flour bought for the sourdough. I got the recipe here..https://www.rightword.com.au/ptero/artic ... d=3&type=2

The next day I made some half wheat half white savoury rolls...with capsicum , mushies, chives, parsley, cheese. I made little knot rolls and they were yummy and I was pretty chuffed with myself!

I also made some dark chocolate dipped dried apricots and ginger, scoffed a heap and gift wrapped some and sent to my parents.
    They haven't arrived yet...hope they survive the trip :lol:

12. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Tully,

You are very persistant with this sour dough! I take my hat off to you.

But those choc dipped apricots sound really yummy.

When you said 'no breadmaker' do you mean that you cooked it in a loaf tin in the oven or just didn't use the breadmix? It sounds like a lot of work to me! :tard:

I must excuse my absence of late as I've been distracted with money problems and am very tired and stressed as a result. You've got an excuse, I'm using this as my excuse, but where the hell's Tezza gone to???

13. forest

forest Junior Member

I bake bread almost everyday. This is my basic recipe, it's delicious.

4 cups bread flour - this can be white, whole grain, wholemeal, whatever you like
    1 rounded teaspoon dry yeast
    1 tablespoon sugar or honey
    1 teaspoons salt
    1¼ cups warm water
    1 tablespoon cooking oil - like olive oil, or canola

14. forest

forest Junior Member

I meant to add, some people are allergic to gluten but it's just another form of protein that develops into strands when kneaded.

15. baringapark

baringapark Junior Member

Hi all

I had a go at making the sourdough bread using the recipe in this thread. It took a long time to rise in the first instance and then was a very wet mix. I made it into 'rolls' but they spread rather than rose...OK we have flat rolls like umm, y'know those fancy flat turkish-bread roll thingys?

Well they looked and smelled great once baked, but man are they sour tasting, almost too sour. Any ideas from the sour dough gurus on this board?

Otherwise, pretty pleased with myself and have some more starter stewing in the corner to try again.

thanks

E

16. christopher

Elizabeth,

Dawn says the sour dough might need mixed with a higher percentage of flour to reduce the sourness. Or it may have cultured too long...

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Best,

C

17. ~Tullymoor~

Hi E,
    I'm about to start another starter and give it another go, now there's some warmth.
    Good on you for doing it...and thanks for letting us know.
    (How's the pregnant Mummas??)

I found this..

https://www.littletree.com.au/bread.htm

Forest, can you please tell us your method for your recipe. I still have my great big bag of flour...better use it up :)

18. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Tully, what a great link. I can't wait to try this. I want to use my breadmaker though because I'm LAZY! :oops: So I'm going to try and adapt it.

19. forest

forest Junior Member

My Rye Recipe - I make this dough in the breadmaker but bake it in the oven. I use the organic rye flour in the calico bag you get from natural food stores.

mix 1 1/2 teaspns dry yeast in 1/4 cup warm water with one dessertspoon of honey/sugar. Mix it up and make sure it starts to bubble before you use it.

Into the bread machine load up:
    1 cup of warm water
    a squirt of extra virgin olive oil - probably a tablespoon full
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    3 cups of rye flour
    1 cup of corn and barley flour or unbleached white baker's flour
    add the yeast honey mixture
    and turn the machine on to the "dough'' setting. After the machine has mixed the dough, check to make sure you have enough water in there as all flours are different. Add a touch more water if the mix is too dry.

When the dough is ready, take it out and knead it on a floured board and shape it. Put it in a greased bread tin. Brush the top with plain water, slash some lines in the top and add carraway or other seeds, if you like them. Place in a warm place for the second rising. Then bake in a hot oven - 200C - for around 30 minutes or until the loaf is brown on the top and sounds hollow when knocked.

Note: Rye flour is incredibly sticky if you add to much water, so err on the side of caution with the water.

20. forest

forest Junior Member

Just a tip on flours - all flours. When you bring them home from the shop, it's a good idea to put the entire bag in the freezer for 2 days. This will kill any weavils, pantry moth lavae or anything that might be in there.

When you open your flour, store it in an airtight container. I buy 10 - 15 kilo packs of flour and store them in white plastic buckets with lids that I get from the local baker. It's worthwhile asking your baker if he has any. They usually give them away.

I've been making bread for a number of years and I find it's worthwhile to get your flour from a wholefood shop, organic shop or bulk foods shop. Supermarket flour is often stale. When buying loose flour, always buy "bread flour" or "high protein flour", it's different to the flour you might use to make cakes. Also, if you're at the bulk food shop, you can buy your yeast there too. I get a nice French yeast that's vacuum packed. It's called Fermex. It's very good. Store your yeast in the fridge in a glass jar when you open your pack.

Just one last thing, this site is very good for answering questions about baking bread: https://www.baking911.com/ They go into the reasons things happen and how to fix them. I hope it helps our new bakers.