Something is eating my tomatoes!

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Wombat, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Wombat

Wombat Junior Member

When the tomatoes are cut open some have maggots - yellow and very active - others have a whitish mushy interior and very tiny fine wrigglies for want of a better description. Any ideas on what and how to treat

2. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Must have been some sort of fly that laid its eggs there. Tiny fine wrigglies are probably baby maggots.

3. tropicalexotics

tropicalexotics Junior Member

Fruit fly - real pain in the arse.
    Very difficult to control as your neighbors and their neighbors probably have them as well and do nothing about it hence perpetuating the breeding cycle..
    Try removing and destroying and affected fruit.You can also use Rogor..horrible smell but can work..or you can bag the tomatoes before they are stung..

Scott

4. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

yellow things are a corn borer caterpilar

the mushy wrigglies are fruit fly

try netting your tomatoes with fine lace curtains or set up fly sceen sleeves around them

we grow our main tomatoe crop in the winter

summer tomatoes are a lto of work and only grown so I can say I can grow them

5. permup

permup Junior Member

Good old fruit fly. I have a huge problem with it. I net our strawberry guava bush, and use calico protective bags on all my tomatoes. Its hard work, but the alternative is worse.

6. Wombat

Wombat Junior Member

Thanks for the encouragement - I think - good read here https://www.greenharvest.com.au/pestcontrol/fruit_fly_info.html and I've been told also to make traps using 2L bottles with holes drilled about 3/4 the way up - couple inches of fruit juice - sugar and brewers yeast and set a few of these amongst the tomatoes. I'll be trying everything - including the free range chooks when the shed is finished

7. j_cornelissen

j_cornelissen Junior Member

a good trap for fruitfly is a cup with vinegar plus some liquid soap (couple of drops), you'll catch heaps within an hour

good luck