Bread

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ~Tullymoor~, Sep 22, 2005.

1. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Pwince, :love1: :love10: :love3: :love4: :love5: :king: :prayer:

I got nobody wiff starter round these parts...I don't know anyone lol 'cos I'm here all day flinging sunflower seeds about with one hand and whipping up extendable bamboo trellis with the other!

Should I not cover it with a teatowel? What bugs you talkin' 'bout???
    I take off da towel and let dem bugs right on in??? What?
    This 5kg bag of stone ground organic bio dynamic wheat flour cost FOURTEEN bucks it had better work!!

2. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Oh Queen Tullymoor of the Beautiful Axe, Taga Hunter and Creator of the Folly!

The beasties in question are airborne yeats, which the tropics are loaded with. A temperate climate like yous would have them in the summer, but you are in spring (takes some time for me to figure out that NOT ONLY do you drive on the wrong side of the road down there, you also have your seasons backwards....)

Teatowel is good, but the right yeasts are what you need.

Remember, life is a learning curve, and your chooks will love the flour if it doesn't work out as hoped for..... I have fed my chooks on many meals that did not work out the way I planned (ouch).

I think, sadly, the key is to find someone with some culture (not some sophisticated type, I mean yeastie beasties).

Your loyal,

Pw Cw

3. ~Tullymoor~

Glad you qualified that.....there's no cultcha around here... :D
    Ok I piffed it and am starting again by giving it a good kick in the guts head start in the cooling down oven I just cooked yummy rice pudding in.
    Will keep it in the warmest spot in the house all day by moving it around I guess....near the stove when cooking has to a good one?

Recipe for yummy rice pud to use up excess eggs...I had 30 in the fridge :shock:
    Recipe calls for 1 and a half cups of rice, precooked, but I cooked 3 cups of rice and it worked well.
    7 eggs, beaten. (I used 8 )
    sugar...about a cup
    2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
    5 cups of milk
    handful or so of sultanas if you like.
    Beat the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla add to cooked rice,give it a good old stir, bung in an oven proof dish and shove in the oven...OH after sprinkling nutmeg (lots if youre like me) on the top.
    I had the oven on 150 fan forced and it took about an hour...it's cooked when set solid and nicely browned on the top and edges. YUMMO!

4. ~Tullymoor~

Too much rice!! I just had a bowlful and it's no way as yummy as my one from the weekend when I used about 3 cups of cooked rice...also needs more sugar too...

5. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Tully, thanx for that great sounding rice pud. Can't wait to try it! Need more eggs but, all of mine are either under silkies or in incubator. :wink:

Tam

6. ~Tullymoor~

Groan, don't talk about it Tam....all my fertile eggs going to waste as I have nothing to hatch them with. My Lorps I bought for broodies aint broody yet and none of the Dorkings are sitting either. Maybe cos it's just not warm enough yet. Or, when it is warm it turns into winter again the next day.
    Might have to get myself some Silkies or maybe the 8 OEG bantam hens I'm getting will be broody types...fingers crossed.

7. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Hey Tully,

I don't often offer advice unless asked, but I feel compelled to suggest to you not to use your Australorps as broodies.

I lost 4 perfectly healthy little chickies because the one and only time I allowed one to 'sit' she sat alright, and bloody well squashedem. :tard:

Get some silkies. True, you can't fit many eggs under them but they're reliable sitters and lovely little pets. Many people also swear by Pekins, but I don't like the degree of feathering on their feet as, IMHO, their not as hardy in wet or soggy conditions. My friend who's involved in the Australorp breeding program with me uses Wyandotte bantams as broodies.

I'm hoping to hatch silkies regularly from now until next March and if you like, I could save some pullets for you. Trouble is, it'd take 20 something weeks or so til they come into lay.

I think this cartoon's very relevant...

[​IMG]

She's an Australorp alright!

Tam

8. ~Tullymoor~

Mmm, food for thought thanks Tam, they ARE huge things aren't they?
    I get the OEG bantams early Oct (I think they are last years stock) so hopefully they will live up to their reputation of broody/good, protective mothers by mid october lol.
    Love the cartoon!

9. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Tully,

If you see a fluffy toy arrive on your doorstep with a bow around it's neck, it won't be a teddy bear! :clown:

Tam

10. ~Tullymoor~

HUH??? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

11. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Just kidding. Silkies are like teddy bears. Nice to give as gifts with a big bow and box of chockies. :lol:

I'll send you the little sick one in the picture if it's a she and she pulls through! It'll be marked 'Fragile, Handle With Care. Please Do Not Frank!'.

:shock:

12. ~Tullymoor~

Aww at Silkie in a bow ,and
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ Please do not Frank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Junior Member

starter

I have a question about 'starter'.
    I have a bucket that has some whey in it and it has been standing outside with a lid on. with the rain we had water got into the bucket and I went to toss it out the other day but when I looked inside I could smell a yeasty smell in there and saw type of 'scum' stuff growing on top. Is this a naturally forming 'starter' culture do you think?

14. ~Tullymoor~

Dawn, I have no idea but someone will no doubt. :D

This new starter is going to work I think. I put it in a warm oven to kick start it and it spent this morning in my north facing bedroom , in the west facing bathroom this arvo. I've just put it in the cooling-down oven again...it has some bubbles on the top and looks a bit more "active" than the other one. Fingers crossed.

15. Shane Bentley

Shane Bentley Junior Member

Tully all I can suggest is try different places to create your starter. Even what you are doing now obviously has a chance - there is no hard and fast rules. If you don't succeed with this one I will have a look at my bread making book (if I haven’t leant it to someone) to see if it offers any advice. But definitely the warmer the weather is or at least the more consistent the temperature the easier it is to get a good starter.
    Shane

16. ~Tullymoor~

Thanks Shane, I'll just keep carting around the house to find the warmest places and in the oven overnight. I will succeed! :D
    Besides, Tam says it's my research....I'm a researcher.

Makes me think of that lovely, dippy, woman in The Mummy when she was a bit how's-your-father and she says
    "I......am a librarian" :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Do we know which famous woman hatched the chicken in her bossum yet?

Tam

18. ~Tullymoor~

LOL no! But I'm willing to give it a fly....all in the name of research you understand :D

19. ~Tullymoor~

This famous woman??>>>>>>>>>>>Nero's consort Livia warmed an egg on her bosom to foretell the sex of her unborn child. When it hatched, the sex of the chick predicted the sex of the child. >>

Not exactly hatching it in your boobs is it?
    No, ok, back too google I go...

20. ~Tullymoor~

WooHoo, my starter is bubbling and I can hear it!!!

You'll laugh when you hear where it is though...cheap bread this, not!
    It's in the bathroom with the heat lamps on!! LOLOL